WHERE SHOULD I LOOK TO CHECK IF BROADBAND HAS REACHED MY AREA

The telecoms regulator ART has just approved extended range ADSL (READSL2), which should mean the maximum distance from the exchange of 5.5kms will soon be extended to (arguably) 8kms, and maybe more six months down the line.

Hi

just worth saying that the availability and speed of the ADSL connection depends on the distance from your modem to the node.

In my area, connection speeds vary between 512 and 8mb depending on where you are in the village.

In an adjoining village, there are many areas that are too distant and can not get ADSL even though it is marked as being a postcode having ADSL enabled.

Peter

I’m on nearly 4Km on line length and subscribed to a 1024/128 line. Whenever I’ve tested the line I’ve got very close to the 1024 (and that’s using a UK speed test site), but only on days when it works.

Also (as an aside), I got a Thompson Speedtouch510 ADSL modem from Wanadoo. Seemed to be giving bad indications and line dropping occasionally so I decides to upgrade the firmware as there was a much more recent version on Thompson’s UK web site. Big mistake. Would not even establish ADSL sync. Called Thompson who said about the UK protocols not beng approved in France and that I must use the French firmware (PPPoA 0/35 protocol ?). Unfortunately, they have “delegated2 everything to the ISP’s in France so I would have to go to my ISP. Forget that with Wanadoo so I managed to find a French website with a link to a later version of French firmware and it now works a treat (much better than before). I waffle on about this only as it may (or may not) affect UK ADSL routers working in France. I asked Thompson about using is as a true Ethernet router (i.e. do dial-up connection on the PC and they said “not approved in France” and I have to use a “dial-up” connection method.