We're thinking of buying one of those wireless phone thingies that sit in a charger base station and can be used while wandering about the house and garden - I forget the precise name they go under. Anyway, the range is supposed to be around 300 metres max. and the one I have in England is fine all over the house and garden. Our Charente house has 2ft+ thick stone walls and I wonder if the signal will get through those. Before we go out and buy one (two?) Anybody got any experience please?

The wireless phone thingies go by the name of DECT (or digital) cordless phones.

The 300 metres range (from the base unit to the handset) quoted by manufacturers is the maximum distance in ideal conditions – ie, line of sight.

As Alnmike says, you can maximise the operating range by placing the base unit upstairs and in the centre of the house – so long as you have an upstairs and a telephone and power socket there!  Thick walls will tend to reduce the maximum distance the phone will work from the base unit.

Note, if you buy a twin pack (or triple pack) of cordless phones, you only need to plug the main base unit into a telephone socket.  The additional handsets come with a smaller base which you plug into the mains to recharge the phone’s battery.

Neither of our mainstream DECT phones work more than 10ft from the house. Wherever the base station is sited. Likewise, radio is hit and miss, and mobiles work occasionally.... 

DECT really only works if you want a cordless phone within the house, or if your house is NOT mainly constructed from stone.