Can you help me please

I don't know anything about computers apart from how to switch it on,get onto the internet and press a few buttons etc. I have just received an e.mail from Wanadoo.fr with whom we have an account for internet. It says that our account is suspended because we have been sending out a great deal of spam e.mail during the past few weeks (this is news to me as I wouldn't even know spam if it bit me). What puzzles me about this e.mail is the fact that it is in english and we live and have our internet in France and ALL our previous correspondence via internet is in french never english. Have I been had? Luckily I did not open the attachment because there was a warning it could cause problems. Has anyone else had this as this is the first time I have seen and we are very careful never to open any e.mails unless we recognise the sender.

It sounds like a hoax to me, and not the first one.  I've heard of other people receiving similar e-mails from their providers saying there account was suspended then asking for them to contact with specific information.  If your wanadoo account is still working I think it's best ignored.  Alternatively, contact wanadoo direct via their webpage and ask if it is authentic.

Val

This is a common ploy by fraudsters.  Its called "phishing" and its purpose is to obtain details of your credit card.

You receive an "official" looking e-mail from someone like e-bay, paypal, amazon, your bank/internet service provider - in fact anyone with whom you might have an account payable by credit card.  The e-mail is (nearly) always in English and often contains spelling errors or grammatical inconsistencies. 

The e-mail usually states that your account has been suspended for whatever reason (unusual activity, or even "we are updating our customer records") and to have it reinstated, you are asked to click on a link to go to the company's site so as to re-input your logon/password/credit card number/bank account number/mother's maiden name, etc.  The link takes you to a spoof website which looks just like the genuine one.

Most companies have an e-mail address (usually abuse@............) to which you can forward the dodgy e-mail for investigation.

You can find more details about phishing here: http://www.wanadoo.fr/bin/frame2.cgi?u=http%3A//assistance.wanadoo.fr/index.asp

(Don't worry - this is a genuine website )

Thank you both for putting my mind at ease. What struck me as odd was that it was Wanadoo fr in english which never ever happens here. Anyway I have checked my online account and they have just taken the next DD anyway being the 18th today and the hours tally up. It just shows though how frightening some of these e.mails can be especially where money is concerned.