Satellite dish angle of elevation

Sorry another satellite dish question.

From Sarlat in the Dordogne I know we need to point the dish 28.2 degrees east of south for astra digital satellite broadcasts. However I have never seen any information about at what angle of elevation the dish needs to be set. Could somebody please advise as to the angle.

Many thanks

Keith Heller

Have to disagree with Mazan this time. I believe in keeping life as simple as possible. No need for software programs or satellite finders, your elevation is about 32.5 degrees for Sarlat - this is only relevant when you make sure the mast fixing is vertical using a spirit level - only then can you be sure of the scale marked on your dish.

Nearly all receivers have signal strength meters so I can't see why a satellite finder is needed.

Set to a channel with tuning meter on display, set dish at correct angle, sweep dish towards 28.2E, wife tells you when meter reaches maximum and then tighten nuts. Tweak LNB angle and that's it.

Doug

For what it is worth . I believe Sarlat is 44.5 North and 0.25 East which I hope yields 30.3 degrees of elevation and 36.7 East of South or 143.3 for direction. The 28.4 is the notional position above the equator therefore as you move further south and to a lessor extent further west so the bearing at which you have aim the dish increases.

For Euro 20 I would say a meter or bleeper was money well spent particularly at this time of year. Your spouse shouting : Nothing Better Same worse like a demented Golden Shot candidate is a recipe for divorce. In particular if you use anything bigger than a mini dish it is quite demanding to find the first signal. I have set up about half a dozen mini dishes over the years normally in under 15 minutes but the only 80 cm dish I set up without a meter took almost an hour.

• 2 years later...

I set-up my Sky dish (including bolting the thing to the

wall, cabling into the house and alignment in a couple of hours without any

meter.  The signal strength I now have

is better than I ever got in the UK. 

Maybe I was lucky with the alignment but all I used was an old walking compass

(the type you get on a small bit of Perspex) and the signal strength and signal

quality indicators on the sat. receiver.

Ian

I agree with mpprh that satiliteforcaravans is a 1st class site.

I used an audio device around 15 to 20 euros from Bricodepôt, not easy to use, but helpfull.

Several sats incuding analogue very close to Astra 2 and sky is not the most powerfull.

Network id 0002, Transport system  07d4, in signal test if using a sky digibox, if it locks on another move the dish slightly, unplug it and reconect to reset. I found it needed lots of patience and coffee.

A rough guide is point towards the sun Cool [H] at 10h00 French time.

Good luck.

Levisiteur