A TV recommendation

Our expensive Sony less than 10 year old TV went kaput recently and we decided it wasn't worth paying out to get it repaired. Today I got a Thomson Nicam Stereo Teletext 55cm screen from LeClerc for 189€ and the picture is a beauty,better than the previous set. So, anyone with limited funds just before xmas looking for a french set,try LeClerc and even if it only lasts a couple of years,it is worth it.

It's good advice.  A lot of our English friends here in Devon (with more money than sense) are splashing out on LCD or plasma sets.  The picture quality on most is at best mediocre,  with crawling blocky backgrounds,  horrendous motion artefacts,  etc etc.   Often they've been purchased on the basis of a shop demo,  using a specially made DVD with superb artefact-less material, rather than an off air signal.

Until high definition standards are set in stone,  any set purchased at the moment has the distinct likelyhood of being a dinosaur in a couple of years.

Others may disagree,  but sticking to cathode ray tubes for a bit longer is cheap and sensible.

Exactly. Anything new is going to cost but wait a year or maybe a bit less and the prices tumble as something else comes onto the market. This set I bought yesterday may be old design in that the back is rather large,but for the price I can't fault it and who cares as long as it does the job. We have another problem too in that one of our cats loves to sit on the top of the set,imagine what would happen with one of the LCD ones!! Remember when digital cameras came out, they cost anything from £400 and now you can get them for under £100 and not bad either.