how do I......

Hello everyone. We have recently bought a second home in Brittany and would welcome some internet connection advice.

We will inherit a phone line (that has been used only for internet connection.)

We have a laptop we will use in France, not the one we use in the UK for internet. We probably will go for pay as you use as we will only be in France during UK holidays. How do I go about signing up and connecting to a French ISP?

Any advice will be very much appreciated.

I do exactly what you want to do, and i use Wanadoo, www.wanadoo.fr. I set it up on via my uk internet, configuring the dialler details myself. Although they did send me a CD to France.With the laptop, I just use the French 'user' when in France, and everything else works as normal, just abit slow compared to Broadband. I'm sure it's not the cheapest or largest space, but I don't use the email address, and only use occasionally so it suits me.

Much the same experience but with free.fr.   Set it all up from the safety of the UK and installed the DUN parameters by hand rather than use the CD which came with the passcode IIRC.   No probs receiving emails to our UK based addresses,  although in 2005 it became impossible to use the French DUN in France to send emails from the UK addresses without changing the SMTP details to free,  but that now works fine too and recipients of our emails notice no difference.