Neuf Telecom Broadband

We tried neuf telecom, on dial up admittedly,  it was terribly unstable so we abandoned it after one month, maybe things have improved with broadband.  Tiscali or ALICE as it is now, seem ok, if you don't mind them not answering your letters or cutting you off after talking to them for a few minutes when you have need to call them.  The don't take any payments either at the moment, for some unknown reason, so that's a plus [:)]

I use Free (www.free.fr) as I want a broadband and telephone service combined.

The cost is 29.99€ a month and this gives me as fast a service as the line can take (currently 1mb for me), free phonecalls to French landlines and free international phonecalls to UK, Spain etc 15 countries in total.

It is substantially less cost than Wanadoo and I have yet to find a cheaper supplier for this type of package. Be aware that you need to read the small print carefully when selecting a supplier as most quote a low headline rate then increase after a year, some have more add ons than Ryanair!

In the past I have used Wanadoo - far too expensive. Neuf (9online) - too beligerent, constant billing problems and impossible to obtain a refund even when they admit they have overcharged. Tiscali - stopped doing reasonably priced unlimited ISDN (put it up to 75€/month) and forced me to give 10 months notice to quit.

Just my own experience.

I must admit, the first few paras of free.fr looks inviting. Free phone calls mean nothing to me as most of our calls are international or mobiles. However the free.fr deal includes international destinations gratuit including Australie (I am Australian). I just have to work out if it is compatible with my home network (I have a router/modem)

I am an ex-Tiscali user, their customer service is awful and they are difficult to leave. The French forums say the same.

Wanadoo are expensive. I used to be a memebr of a email group hosted by wanadoo which has been off the air for the past week as Wanadoo had technical problems. Not encouraging!

France suffers from a lack of real choice. I've been reading a French website which lays the boot into all the FAI's/ISP's.

Still confused!

Neil

[quote user="Agenais"]We tried neuf telecom, on dial up admittedly,  it was terribly unstable so we abandoned it after one month, maybe things have improved with broadband.  Tiscali or ALICE as it is now, seem ok, if you don't mind them not answering your letters or cutting you off after talking to them for a few minutes when you have need to call them.  The don't take any payments either at the moment, for some unknown reason, so that's a plus [:)][/quote]

Funny you should say that about the payments because it's happened to me too for the last couple of months i.e. they haven't taken anything. I think it might be to do with the Reciprok points system which I've never really gone into but I seem to remember them saying on a newsletter that accumulated points would expire sometime in November and I just assumed I would lose them but perhaps it's some sort of enforced free surfing to use them up. That's my theory anyway.