Try Video Futur.   They appear to be like a chain similar to Blockbusters in the UK.   They are national and you can rent a huge selection of DVD's from them and select the language you want to view it in (make sure you check the back of the DVD cover for language options).

You have two choices for how you rent: - Pay for each one as you take it or obtain a Carte Privilege and top it up, then they deduct your rental from it each time you take a DVD out (our favoured choice and we put €30 on it but you can put less on if you wish).   The advantage of the 2nd option is that you get the rental cheaper.   On either system you can take up to 2 DVD's.   With the first option you will need a utility bill every time but with the 2nd you need the bill just to obtain the card (which is free to obtain).

They have a website at www.video-futur.com where you can search by post code for your nearest store or by department if you don't know it) and are currently crediting the carte with €35 for every €30 you put on it.

Beware - they also sell chocolate etc just like Blockbusters.

John

The problem is, I really need to do this by mail, the way that NetFlix works in the U.S.  Carcassonne is 45 minutes away, which I don't feel like driving just to rent a couple of DVDs.

I know that it's not that expensive to buy them these days, but I hate buying something I'll only watch once.

PG

[quote user="Dicksmith"]Will Amazon extend their mail service to France? Might be worth a try.[/quote]

I've wondered about that.  I might try writing to them and see.  Although, I must say that attempts at "human" communication with Amazon in the past have been less than successful!

PG

[quote user="Dicksmith"]Will Amazon extend their mail service to France? Might be worth a try.[/quote]

Well, here is the answer, direct from their website:

Amazon.co.uk DVD Rental by Post can deliver rental DVDs to addresses

in the UK (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales).

Unfortunately, we cannot deliver rental DVDs to BFPO addresses or

addresses in the Channel Islands.

PG [:(]

[quote user="Dicksmith"]That's a pity. Might still be worth a try, robots have blind spots...[/quote]

In this case, their form to become a member ONLY has the UK in the country field and does not allow you to change it.  However, I've contacted a couple of the other online rental services and am awaiting a response.  If I find anything out, I'll post it here for anyone else interested.

PG

There are several internet rental companies in France.  I started off with Glowria, but found their availability of recent release titles to be poor.  I have now switched to Cinesnap and I have found their service to be very good.  I pay Euros 37 a month and get three DVD's in rotation (sent back individually).  When the post is good, this gives me around 20 DVD's per month.

When you mean English language DVD's do you mean foreign language films subtitled in English?  All English language DVD's are available in original version in France.

[quote user="adrianpmills"]

I have now switched to Cinesnap and I have found their service to be very good.  I pay Euros 37 a month and get three DVD's in rotation (sent back individually).  When the post is good, this gives me around 20 DVD's per month.

When you mean English language DVD's do you mean foreign language films subtitled in English?  All English language DVD's are available in original version in France.

[/quote]

Yes, I meant original versions. I hate watching American/English movies and television dubbed.  Of course, it would also be better if I could turn off the French subtitles, which I find distracting and usually annoying, because I disagree with the translation so much of the time!

But, I'll check out Cinesnap.  Thanks.

PG

[quote user="adrianpmills"]I find you can switch off the french subtitles with more than 50% of the films.  Some foreign language films are available with english subtitles, but not many.[/quote]

I don't mind the subtitles on a film in a language I don't speak (Chinese, for example), but when you speak both languages fluently, it's very bizarre to have subtitles.  You can't stop yourself from reading them, no matter what you do, and, for me, I find myself second guessing the word choices.  Very frustrating!

PG

[quote user="PossumGirl"]Does anyone know of a service that rents English-language DVDs by mail to those of us living in France?  I know that there are several French services, but I'd much rather rent the original versions of thing whenever possible.

PG
[/quote]

I'm obviously missing something here.   All the DVDs we rent in France have an Original Language option, so we watch the English ones in English.   With or without subtitles, as you wish.