I have a tv connected to a video and dvd using satelite for bbc etc.

No problems for 4 years until last week when I could not video programmes nor watch dvd's.!!!!!!!!!

I thought I had touched a change channel button accidentally which is close to the record video button.

So I started again and let the tv automatically retune the channels,then connected the leads to the other equipment.

I regained my video screen and video  and rcording was again possible.

However I still cannot see any picture when I insert dvd 's but have sound.!!!

Any experts out there?as tv is normally rubbish and I have some xmas dvd's to watch.

tv is toshiba bought in uk 7 years ago.

video is  toshiba not as old.

dvd is a sony 5years old and an expensive one.

satelite receiver is panasonic.

Since you can buy perfectly adequate dvd players for as little as  €35 - 40, it does not seem worthwhile to investigate a repair.

Go to your local hypermarket and see what they have. The general improvement in dvd player quality over the past five years is considerable and dvd players are almost a commodity item. If you only want to play commercial disks there are few real benefits to be had from buying a major brand.

[quote user="Ab"]

thanks but since sony cost 825 euros i would have thought something could be done before binning it>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

ANY OTHER IDEAS ON FIXING PROBLEM.

[/quote]

My advice is still to ditch it. Its purchase price bears no relation to its current value - which is zilch.

What would be the point of spending  €100 on a repair which would give you a machine which will not perform as well as a new, unbranded dvd player costing half that amount?

AB,

Check that the scart lead is properly connected at both ends.  Do you have another TV – if so, I’d suggest you try connecting your DVD to it.  If the problem is still evident it proves the DVD is at fault.

As others have said, it’s probably not worth spending money on a repair, especially if the laser is faulty.  You could try a laser cleaner.

DVD players, in common with anything which is “digital” get better and cheaper all the time.  Just look at how the price of digital cameras, LCD TVs etc have plummeted in the last couple of years.

VHS is now living on borrowed time.  You might want to consider buying a DVD recorder – this should allow you to record French TV through the inbuilt tuner (if you buy a French one) and UK TV from your Sky box connected by a scart lead.

[quote user="Ab"]

DID NOT WANT TO REPAIR BUT THOUGHT SOMEONE HAD SOME IDEAS I COULD TRY-SUPPOSE I WILL WAIT FOR THE REAL SUPERMAN TO ASSIST.

ONLY A JOKE  CLARKKENT.

GOOGNIGHT TO ALL YOU READERS.

[/quote]

You don't have to apologise for your reaction to advice you find unpalateable.  If I were in your situation I, too, would feel aggrieved - particularly in view of the high original cost of the dvd player.

But then, I have had to throw away a laptop which was much newer than your dvd. It had been accidentally damaged and its repair cost was unreasonable compared with the price of a new computer. My household insurance policy did not include damage to laptops*. I just had to bite the bullet!

My original reply assumed that you had checked all cables and connections.

* Apparently this was a general change adopted by almost all insurance companies. If you have a laptop or other portable electronic device it may be worth checking with your own insurer.

I recently damaged my laptop (Macs have metal cases and I leant on it...) and I got it repaired under my household policy. They were very reluctant to replace it and the repair took weeks, but it's fine now. Cost me £50 excess. I once had a laptop replaced when it fell out of its case (don't ask) and went down a flight of stairs.