OK - Do the following.:

Open the Control Panel and double click on "Regional and Language". there are three tabs marked "Regional Settings", "Languages" and "Advanced" select 'Regional Settings, below that is a drop down selection menu which should say "English (United Kingdom)" if it doesn't then select this from the list that you get by clicking on the downward facing arrow by the side.

Now select Languages by clicking on the tab at the top. As you look down this screen there should be a button marked "Details", click on this and another screen should be displayed. The first thing as you work down from the top should be "Default Language" whic should be set again to "English (United Kingdon) - United Kingdom" if it is not then use the arrow on the right to select this from the drop down list.

You can also check below this line to see what languages are selected for what. This list displays the language options for each country you have installed which is typically English "(United Kingdom)" and "English (United States)" the one you are interested in is the "English (United Kingdom)". Below this and idented over to the right it should say things like "Handwriting Recognition", "Keyboard" and "Voice Recognition" In the case of the "Keyboard" it should say "United Kingdom", if it doesn't have anything about United Kingdom then to the right there is a "add" button which you can use to add the language. Once you have done this and are happy you can click on either "Apply" and then "OK" or just "OK" then "OK" again and again (three in total) and close the control panel.

Now for a basic test.

The correct keys to get a € (Euro) sign are the "Alt Gr" key and the number 4 which is the number 4 located above and between the F and R keys. The "Alt Gr" is the key located directly to the right and adjacent to the space bar.

We will forget about Word for the basic test as Word can adapt it's self to different keyboards and languages seperately from the operating system. Click on "Start" (bottom left of screen)  and select "All Programs" and then "Accessories" and from that drop down list select "NotePad". This is a text editor that is part of the Windows program and only uses Windows settings, now holding the "Alt Gr" key down hit the number 4 as described above and you should get a € sign. If you don't get this then there is some form of problem with the keyboard and you should exchange it. If it works try the same thing in MS Word and if it does not work then you need to check the Language settings in Word. This can be done by selecting "Tools", "Language" and "Set Language" then select "English UK". This should not really make any difference but it's worth a try. If you want and you have the Word CD's you could add French at this point which gives you a French spell checker. This means you don't have to bother with accented caracters like é you can just type e and the spell checker will pick it up. Much quicker than doing all this Ctrl+Alt+130 stuff.

I hope this works if it doesn't you can PM me with your phone number and when I have time I will talk you through it.

[quote user="JohnM"]

[quote user="Quillan"]

The US English (yes there is such a thing)

[/quote]

Naw.... there is English and there is American - the two languages have many similarities but the latter should not be called English.[8-)]

[/quote]

I totally agree with you especially as the Americans deliberatly changed the spelling of words after their independance so as not to be the same as us. To add the word English to anything American is an abomination. Mind you listening to teenagers talk on TV the other night it would seem that in the UK English teachers are not doing their job right either.

H€€ Geeked [8-|]Sleep [|-)]Stick out tongue [:P]       H€€      H€€€     H€€€€€€         H€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

Thanks to everyone for your help. It was Quillan's posting of 15:39 today that sorted it.

I do , incidentially, have the French spell checker in Word which sorts out most of the accented characters although I do have to be careful when using to/at and have/has. I don't have the grammar checker but I'd prefer not to go there at the moment!

Thanks again

Benjamin

[quote user="Benjamin"]H€€        H€€      H€€€     H€€€€€€         H€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

Thanks to everyone for your help. It was Quillan's posting of 15:39 today that sorted it.

Benjamin
[/quote]

Great thread!.  I have a french keyboard and have told Windows that it is QWERTY and just touchtype it as if it was, however, when I have to type something in French I have never known how to get the various symbols, accents etc especially on the keys on the top row where there are up to three.  I have also not known what the alt gr key was for. Now, I can just use the EN/FR thingy on the toolbar to toggle between English and French, mid-document,  along with the alt gr  key and get all sorts of goodies.  Thanks Benjamin and everyone.

Anne

[quote user="Benjamin"]H€€        H€€      H€€€     H€€€€€€         H€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

Benjamin
[/quote]

Great thread!.  I have a french keyboard and have told Windows that it is QWERTY and just touchtype it as if it was, however, when I have to type something in French I have never known how to get the various symbols, accents etc especially on the keys on the top row where there are up to three.  I have also not known what the alt gr key was for. Now, I can just use the EN/FR thingy on the toolbar to toggle between English and French, mid-document,  along with the alt gr  key and get all sorts of goodies.  Thanks Benjamin and everyone.

Anne