Moving Channels on a Sky Box

I have fixed the problem by searching the network as opposed to searching the satelitte. Which is what we were doing before. However the channels are very unstable, and some times we can't get either ITV or BBC, even though we can get some other channels fine. Of course they are channels we don't want to watch, like QVC. If I knew what TP stood for we might try and seasrch that.

We are getting our French channels with an ordinary aerial and they come in fine. The tech did know which way to point the dish as he told us and why we also have an aerial. We are inclining towards the box being unstable.

Kris

As you are still having problems I think the technician has still not aligned the dish or the LNB perfectly the thing he is aiming at is over 15,000 miles away. The trick is to use one of the weaker signals such as BBC1 and maximise signal strength and quality using that.  There should be a menu option which displays signal strength and quality we are at over 90 % on both.

We are much further South than you and therefore should have a harder time aligning. The only time we loose the picture is during torrential rain and thunder storms and only happens two or three times a year.  This is using a Euros 68 dish and digital receiver which was aligned without a meter.

I would still try and borrow a friends Sky box and then you you will be able to check if it is dish alignment or the quality of the digital receiver.  If you have paid for the installation suggest appealing to his better nature. If you have not say you will not pay until you get ITV and BBC working properly. 

Allowing for odd visits to friends, builders knocking the dish, moving house etc I must have set up dishes about a dozen times. It has taken me as long as an hour and a half  but on a couple of occasions I have got it right first time and been up and running in five minutes.

There are thousands of people who receive BBC and ITV in France so you are not asking the imposible

We did already pay and we paid for five hours of messing about. So I do think he owes us as far as coming back. My husband doesn't trust him now, he thinks he should have used a better compass and wants to buy one and do it himself.

Kris[+o(]

You have found the right satellite therefore you do not need a compass. Mark the angle of the dish and the direction so that it it all goes wrong you can get back to the possition you are in now. Line of paint for inclination and a stick or something for where the arm is pointing

Find the screen from the menu button on the satellte reciever which shows signal strength and quality.

Loosen the bolts which hold the dish there are three things you can move.

1. The direction the dish is pointing

2. The inclination angle it is aimed at ( how high it is pointing

3. The skew of the LNB ( The thing at the end of the arm ) and what O'clock it is set at.

Do not move the dish edge by more than the thickness of a piece of paper at a time and count to twenty after every move. If you cannot get the TV set up so you can see it you need somebody watching signal strenght and quality and saying 'Better, Same or Worse' all the time. You should be able to get to 80% plus signal strength and 70% plus quality.