Plasma tv, computer and settings

I've got a 42" plasma tv which among other things, have my desktop computer is connected to. I'm very confused regarding screen ratios, resolutions etc. In the mode the tv is on (RGB) I can switch between 16:9 or 4:3 ratios. I have the computer set at the base resolution 800x640 (I think it is) as this provides the clearest picture. The tv isn't HD ready. Obviously I keep the tv at a 16:9 ratio in order to utilise the widescreen of the tv. However in this option the screen is stretching everything. Is there a way to combat this? In 4:3 mode it isn't stretched but of course I'm not using the entire screen, just the middle part.

I think you`ll find that if you leave the aspect ratio switch at 4:3, everything will take care of itself.  Most programmes are still transmitted in the standard 4:3 format, but when a widescreen (16:9) programme is transmitted, the broadcaster also transmits a signal to tell widescreen receivers to switch to 16:9 format.  When the next 4:3 programme comes on, the broadcaster switches off the signal again, and the widescreen TV will automatically return to 4:3 format.  Sometimes it takes a second or two for the automatic switching to take place.

It doesn`t work the other way round!  If you`ve set your receiver up as 16:9, everything will be stretched out to 16:9, even when it`s really a 4:3 signal being transmitted.

Good luck,

sturrdave

Thanks for that. I've sorted that side out, it's just my computer that I have hooked up to the tv that is the problem.

I have plugged the computer into the RGB input of the tv (so the tv is basically one big monitor). If I leave it in 4:3 aspect ratio, it is fine, but when I put the tv in 16:9 aspect ratio, it stretches the computer screen. I would assume that there would be a setting whereby I could utilise the entire widescreen but it seems that this is not the case. For example, my wife has a widescreen laptop and she can set the resolution in orderto utilise the entire screen.

Ah ok. I don't have a 3d card. I'm going out of the normal monitor output of the computer and into the tv. The ebst resolution I've found is the base one (800x600 I think), it's the clearest to read although still stretched. Other resolutions make it difficult to read on screen although clarity on words is not a major priority, seeing my movies is.

So perhaps the answer is in a 3d card.