Satellite receiver needed

Help!!

I've got a dish and all the bits, but my actual receiver is dead, so I need to get another one. In the UK it seems that unless you want a Sky box there's nothing available.

I'm looking for something that will receive UK & French free to air digital channels.

I have seen a number of 'cheap dish at Brico...' posts and worder if anyone knows a brico or a supermarket chain with receivers, preferably on offer!

I'll be in 56 (Ploermel and Vannes) the week after next so I could punt around, but I'd like to short-circuit the search a bit.

12 days till we own half an acre of France!!

A few months ago the Leroy Merlin at Séné had by far the best range of low price receivers (below 70€) although the new Castorama at Parc Lann may have more choice than the old one did. Their salesmen are very knowledgeable and their advice worth taking. We have cheap Metronic and Strong receivers and they are fine, but their menu functions are a bit clunky and you can't lock out fiddlers from searching, for example. Maybe more expensive boxes are better in this respect.

Carrefour had a few, as did Bricomarche at Séné (Poulfanc). Also earlier in the year, Bricomarche had an offer of analogue and digital receivers plus dish and cable for about €80, you never know there may be some left over.

I think you need the analogue receivers for some French channels, and also that you will need a dish aligned for a different satellite than the one(s) the British channels are on, but there are others who post to this forum who I am sure will advise you better than I can. We use an aerial to receive French channels.

Steve

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]Thanks, Steve. Séné is handy for the in-laws so I'll try Leroy Merlin & Bricomarché. I need to start exploring the Bricos's anyway to get as many priced catalogues as I can find. Cheers[/quote]

Catalogues? You'll be lucky!![:)]

Don't get an analogue receiver!  The few channels that remain on analogue are duplicated on digital and the big 'Off' switch will be used on analogue sattelites very soon as it's expensive, power hungry and just not very good compared to digital.  If you are anywhere near Germany, get your equipment from there (Media Markt or Saturn or one of the electronics box shifters)  They do receivers from about 35 euros and complete kits for around 60 euros - they work well too!