ADSL set up on line

Our friends used our computer yesterday to set up an adsl abonnement on line via france telecom web site. I personally have done this a few times for other people for a dial up connection with no problems and retrieved their passwords and they are set up straight away.

Anyway yesterday we went through and ticked and filled in relevant boxes and it said congratulations you now have a adsl line but there were no passwords.

They had bought a live box and I could not understand how the livebox can be set up etc without passwords.

Rang english speaking help line who could not help, they had not a clue.

Anyway in the end we set up a pay as you go dial up connection which came with passwords and they are going to try those.

Anyone know if this will work.

We have received a verification e mail from orange saying they will sort the line out etc but no customer number and still no passwords.

I set up my abonnement at my local FT shop and got my Livebox from them.  They input all my details then printed out a form containing details of my new account, including my UserIDs and passwords for the Wanadoo server plus mail server.  The Livebox CD took me through the installation process including asking me to input my UserIDs and passwords.

Having set up the ADSL account on-line, your passwords will be mailed to you together with confirmation that the line is active.  When you receive them, you can install the Livebox and get access to your Internet account.

Things are different for ADSL because unlike dial-up you have got to wait for FT to do things at the telephoneexchange. This typically takes 10 days or so , which leaves plenty of time for passwords and  account numbers to be sent out by post.

In the meantime you can plug in all the filters and livebox and wait for the correct lights to come on. Only when this happens can you configure the box for use.