Computer Spares Shop

Anybody any recommendations based on service in Bordeaux, Libourne Perigeaux or the surrounding areas.  All I actually need it the micro switch/poussoir for the on/off button for a six year old Advent ( purchased in an emergency from PC World) . I took the thing to bits expecting to find a bit of hanger wire linking to a switch on the power supply at the rear. No it has all gone high tec.

No problems with Language. I have not tried Computer World in Bordeaux which is probably the logical choice.

Hi Anton, 

Advent is a Dixons / Currys / PC World exclusive brand so the components may not be used in any French manufactured PC if it is a custom manufactured casing. 

You could try Dixons spares operation http://www.partmaster.co.uk/cgi-bin/home.pl   Although the website does not seem to offer components like power switches you can email an inquiry to:  [email protected] - they may be able to supply what you need or give you the PC manufacturer’s details. 

You might also get some useful info on your PC from Dixons service website:  http://www.pcservicecall.co.uk 

You could also try PC City (PC World in France / Spain) in Bordeaux – details:  http://www.pccity.fr 

As a last resort, if you know what you’re doing inside a PC, you could buy a new casing (with power supply) and rebuild the PC into the new casing.

Try

www.conrad.fr

they are a good componant sales site, if you need one of the tiddy switches about 5mm square, I've seen them in their catalogue, so should be on web site

I've probably got one in one of my junk boxes in the sous-sol!

>As a last resort, if you know what you’re doing inside a PC, you could buy a new casing (with power supply) and rebuild the PC into the new casing.

If you do, don't forget that cases changed format from AT  to ATX (generally bigger) about five years ago, and the main components aren't interchangeable. I think you should upgrade[:)] It will probably cost half what your Advent did.

Steve

Thanks everybody. Finally removed the last bit of fascia and discovered micro switch is working but retaining lug had broken away. Currently have very funky looking PC with clamp holding micro switch in place while glue sets.

Main problem with upgrading is that I cannot see what I would gain. Calc speed in Excel is faster than anything I have ever used and I no longer do anything else which is processor intensive. I occasionally play stratergy based games but nothing with heavy graphics requirments.

In theory Isabel's laptop should seem a vast step forward in practise no better despite being six years younger.

Thanks everybody sorted by gluing micro switch in place.

Henry Ford used to tour the scrap yards in the USA seeing which parts were not worn out on his cars and down grade their specification. Perhaps this is why VW have a car business and Ford have a declining market share and profitability. Worse bit on 'Engineering' BMC ever did was replacing Cooper S with 1275 GT saved £ 1 to the Copper car company about £ 10 on components and dropped £ 150 in perceived value. Fiat did worse to Lancia

I hate built in obsolescence and do not see why I should junk/dump a PC for a 50 cents switch. I do not talk to the trees, let alone hug them, but PCs are pretty evil pieces of scrap to dispose of.