basic livebox questions

Hi,

We have just managed to get our phone line installed - it was a long story -FT said our (new) chalet didn't exist! In the end my  other half decided to take a neighbours advice and sign up for broadband at the same time to save another lot of hassle when we actually need it . He speaks good French but is a complete technophobe (even in English!) so had no idea what on earth he was signing up for! So as far as I know we now have a broadband connection ,and a livebox has just been delivered ( should have arrived while we were still there about 6 weeks ago, but finally turned up at our wonderful builder's office last week).

So my very basic question is - what is a live box??? do I just plug in my laptop (in which case what kind of lead do I need) - or is it a wi-fi system and my laptop will just pick it up? any advice about how I set it up? as you will have gathered although I am reasonably IT literate I am not very good on hardware....

Thanks a lot

Liz

Thanks BJSLIV - it looks (almost ) idiot proof! - although my experience of anything to do with sorting out computers is that a 5 min job usually takes at least 2hours!! Anyway it looks as if all the leads needed come in the box so I should be ok.

Liz

That is if all the bits and pieces are in the box....she said bitterly.

The first one I got was utter rubbish (broken in some way) and they sent a wizz of a man round to sort me out with the second and since then, no trouble at all.  Cost a fortune telephoning the help line - HAH! - and then 50 odd euros for the visit.

(You might not want to know that there is a livebox site full of even more bitter people than me[;-)])

I think that the livebox is a piece of junk. If you do a yahoo search on livebox, you will find that I am not alone with that opinion. I have helped many freinds out by installing their ADSL connections as a hobby, and recommend that people do not use the livebox but buy a cheap modem router instead. If you look at my blog there is a section on computers in France that may be of use to you.