Norton Anti Virus Error Message

I'm having a problem updating my definitions for Norton Anti Virus software and getting error message LU1814. Essentially, I'm unable to access the file with the definitions on the Symantec server. I've followed all the instructions as to what to do in the event of such an error message but to no avail. I've run a virus check and that was fine. Our subscription is up to date. Has anyone come across a similar problem and been able to resolve it?

Any advice gratefully received.

Jan Laury

I am sorry I cannot give you an answer except to say the best thing I did was ditch Norton and replaced it free with AVG. I have been using AVG for a couple of years and it has performed excellently with daily checks and no slowing down and messing up of my computer. I have been advised by so many people including professional  not use to Norton and to stick with AVG. Because it is free does not mean that it is not good.

I believe that Norton has a live technical line available to you, but be aware that the telephone cost for this service is between £15-£20. You might find it helpful to find out the opinion of an independent review company ZDnet about Norton.

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/utilities/0,39024210,39172958,00.htm

Baz

I agree with Baz. I used to use Norton but it slowed the machine, used loads of resources, stopped things working properly so I ditched it (despite having paid for it and subscriptions) and switched to AVG which is (in my opinion) far superior. Uses very few system resources, doe snot slow teh machine, seems to be properly certified (i.e. detects and removes all the viruses), updates automatically every day no problems, etc. (and is free).

Ian

If you do resort to moving away from Norton, don't rely on the uninstall to remove the complete program. Norton likes to keep files tucked away on your PC which can cause no end of problems in the future.

You will need to explore the Norton site and find the small download which allows a complete uninstall.

Ignore the negatives with regard to AVG. It is one of the top Anti Virus programs and the only one which updates on a daily basis. Yes, others may profess to do the same, but AVG actually does it. Also, as has been stated - it's free.

A combination of Windows Defender, AVG, and Windows OneCare Advisor will secure your PC without costing a penny.

[quote user="Salty Sam"]If you do resort to moving away from Norton, don't rely on the uninstall to remove the complete program. Norton likes to keep files tucked away on your PC which can cause no end of problems in the future.

You will need to explore the Norton site and find the small download which allows a complete uninstall.[/quote]

This is very true as I found out to my great frustration... It took a lot of perseverance to get my old PC to run smoothly after I removed Norton. I even managed to get a refund from them!

[quote user="Salty Sam"]A combination of Windows Defender, AVG, and Windows OneCare Advisor

will secure your PC without costing a penny.[/quote]

Am I right in thinking Windows OneCare only works if you use Internet Explorer?

I use Firefox to browse and Thunderbird for emails.