Joining the Exodus from France?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oakbri,

I am not sure how long it is since you lived in Jersey, but if it was more than a couple of years ago I don't think you would recognise the place today.

The capital St.Helier is being developed beyond recognition on the back of the resurgent finance industry with substantive land reclamation schemes resulting in new waterfront developments springing up all over the place. As a result we can match the facilities of any medium to large town in the UK and most days large numbers of French day trippers arrive on the St Malo and Granville ferries attracted by the choice of high street shops such as M&S. (Not that it is any cheaper mind you!)

Interestingly, even the tourism industry has started to recover on the back of new upmarket hotel and spa developments that have made Jersey an increasingly favourite short break destination.

Housing licence restrictions have been eased with over 2000 new residents arriving in the Island last year, as the new ministerial style government is allowing the population to grow to the hundred thousand mark. House prices though are similar to the south east of England 

The best bit is that Jersey does not seem to experience anything like the same social or crime issues the UK is facing and we are only 12 miles from France! 

Hi Sprogster

It is quite a while since I left Jersey, I lived there from 1999 to 2001. I agree about the lack of crime. I left my keys in my car ignition the whole time I was there, and while it may not be like that any more I agree it is MUCH safer than the UK.

I loved living there and as I said the only downfall was to do anything you had to first get off the island, which was slightly time consuming and hugely expensive. Don't know if that has changed by now.

How I miss going for a few pints in St Aubins on summer evenings.

Hi Oakbri,

Not much has changed at all on the crime front since you were here, as people still do leave their cars in the ignition, although not really advisable!  Jersey still has negligible serious crime compared to most other countries, with some drunkeness on the streets of St.Helier when the pubs and clubs close at the weekend being about the worst of it. Part of the reason is that the Jersey Courts are quite draconian compared to the UK, with people for example convicted on drugs supply offences imprisoned for much longer. (Twelve years is not unusual and in Jersey there is no parole!)

One thing that has improved since you were here is that thanks to the low cost carriers such as Flybe, BMI Baby and ThomsonFly, getting to and from the island is much cheaper. Even getting to France by ferry got cheaper this year due to competition for Condor on the St Malo route from HD Ferries, who adopted the low cost airline model. Also since last year you have been able to get the TGV from St Malo.

Hi Oakbri,

Not much has changed at all on the crime front since you were here, as people still do leave their keys in the ignition, although not really advisable!  Jersey still has negligible serious crime compared to most other countries, with some drunkeness on the streets of St.Helier when the pubs and clubs close at the weekend being about the worst of it. Part of the reason is that the Jersey Courts are quite draconian compared to the UK, with people for example convicted on drugs supply offences imprisoned for much longer. (Twelve years is not unusual and in Jersey there is no parole!)

One thing that has improved since you were here is that thanks to the low cost carriers such as Flybe, BMI Baby and ThomsonFly, getting to and from the island is much cheaper. Even getting to France by ferry got cheaper this year due to competition for Condor on the St Malo route from HD Ferries, who adopted the low cost airline model. Also since last year you have been able to get the TGV from St Malo.

Sprogster

Glad to hear things have improved on the travel front. I loved living in Jersey and found that to be the islands big failing. I was lucky as I worked for an airline so it cost me very little to get away by air. But I know air fares were high and the ferry at the time was a joke. I remember being quoted something like 300 pounds to take the car to St Malo and back. Which must have made it the most expensive ferry journey at cost per mile in the world. Is Emeraude still going?

[quote user="oakbri"]

Sprogster

Glad to hear things have improved on the travel front. I loved living in Jersey and found that to be the islands big failing. I was lucky as I worked for an airline so it cost me very little to get away by air. But I know air fares were high and the ferry at the time was a joke. I remember being quoted something like 300 pounds to take the car to St Malo and back. Which must have made it the most expensive ferry journey at cost per mile in the world. I Emeraude still going?

[/quote]

Well I am sure that the Isle of Wight ferry whilst not perhaps being the worlds most expensive, costs far more per mile as the journey cant be more than a mile.