RJ11 telephone sockets - Filter - Internet Connection

My wife and I have secured a new build in Antibes (and got the keys last Thursday [:D]) and we dutifully purchased a French telephone with the requiste French plug on the end for connecting to the standard French socket.  However, on getting the keys we noticed that the sockets are like the American ones (technically RJ11).  A quick trip to Carrefour fixed the connection issue.  Surprisingly, as this is an apartment block, the electricity, cable TV and Telephone entry points are all housed in the fuse cabinet, with the telephone having a test point, which was a standard French socket, which makes a mockery of the new standard.  Aparently all new builds will have this going forward.

However, my question is one of connecting to the Internet.  As many of you know, most ADSL circuits work with a "splitter" or "filter", which breaks out the standard plug socket into an RJ11 connection, so that you can plug in your modem of choice.  When we get connected, will we just need to plug in the modem and hey presto it works, or will I need to by a specific RJ11 to RJ11 splitter/filter?

Any help is appreciated...

Simon

[quote user="Gyn_Paul"]Check with a computer-owning neighbour, then probably another trip to Carrefour !

p
[/quote]

Regretfully (or luckily) we are the second people to move in.  The others are Norwegian and have already said the apartment will be used about 6 weeks of the year, so no chance of them having it.

Thanks for the tip though.

Tel,

Many thanks for this.  My local Maplins has one.  I thought it may need a filter, but to find one in the UK seems strange and brillant.  I had already bought a French filter from the magical Carrefour last year in preparation, and as the apartment has a French telephone jack in the fuse box, I can test it with the old socket and the new one and then decide the best place to locate it.  Again, Thank you.

Simon

Bugbear - Not a probem - we deliberately bought a cordless system, so only one phone connected to FT and several "extensions" [;-)].

One filter for the ADSL shoudl be enough as it is likely to be in the same socket as the phone is connected and hopefully we should have lift off.

May thanks for your advice.  I will keep that in mind for when the phone breaks down [:(].

Simon

If you want to pick up adsl around the house, it will depend on the quality of the house wiring, if it cheap stuff there may be too much loss for adsl to work properly. My solution to this was to fity the modem where the phone line where it enters the house and go wireless. A cable from the other filter connection feeds the cordless system.

The RJ45's (aren't they?) are a new-ish standard for French telephone wiring - the existing socket is of quite an old design & noone uses all 8 connections any more. I suppose that the idea is that we all go over to digital telephones, which will just be part of our internet connection. If this is the case, the socket will just be a connection  to a network hub with the internet on the other side.

To answer your question, unless you have evidence to the contrary, you will still require an ADSL modem or modem/router and a filter. As I understand it, you can use the socket for telephone & network (not just ADSL) concurrently.

[quote user="Mikew"]If you want to pick up adsl around the house, it will depend on the quality of the house wiring, if it cheap stuff there may be too much loss for adsl to work properly. My solution to this was to fity the modem where the phone line where it enters the house and go wireless. A cable from the other filter connection feeds the cordless system.[/quote]

I have checked and they have installed commercial UTP through out.  France Telecom have ben out today to check everything as well.  So - touching a large plank of wood - everything should be ok.......

[quote user="nicktrollope"]

The RJ45's (aren't they?) are a new-ish standard for French telephone wiring - the existing socket is of quite an old design & noone uses all 8 connections any more. I suppose that the idea is that we all go over to digital telephones, which will just be part of our internet connection. If this is the case, the socket will just be a connection  to a network hub with the internet on the other side.

To answer your question, unless you have evidence to the contrary, you will still require an ADSL modem or modem/router and a filter. As I understand it, you can use the socket for telephone & network (not just ADSL) concurrently.

[/quote]

Surprisingly, BT still install 4 pair cabling (8 wires).   They carry the extra so that if they have a break in a pair, there is always a spare pair.  If the BT futurologists have got it right, BT will soon be offering services on the spare pairs anyway (VOD, next generation SDSL etc).  FT (from what I have seen) seem to have installed 4 pair as well as we still have a junction with the old socket on for "test" purposes, which then runs out to the RJ11 sockets.  RJ45 is defined here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rj45 RJ11 is defined here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RJ11

Thank you for those who have taken the time to reply.

[quote user="tel"]

Hi,

Unless your new building supply you with Broadband as well as the other services you will still need to plug in an ADSL filter of the type shown in the link:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=45155&&source=14&doy=16m1

Regards

[/quote]

Many Thanks for the link... I got one from Maplins Hounslow (sorry to anyone else - it was their last one).  The guys and girls were very good and made sure I understood that this was for Ireland only.  I then explained it was for France and then told me I would need to get a different connector as the French Telecom scokets were not the for the item I was about to purchase  I was amazed they were that clued up and impressed.  I did say I only needed the RJ11 version and thanked them for checking.

Tel - Thanks for the link again.