mobile low user

As a very low user, 4/5 calls per month. usually " I'll be arriving in

an hour or so" or " Finished shopping you can pick me up?" ie few calls

of low duration. Had NRJ until they moved the goalposts and started

cancelling unused credit. At the moment have Carrefour which upgrades

for 4€ per month with unused credit lost. have to drive about 5 Km from

home before I can get signal on any proivder.

i?s there a ny mobile system in France which provides a service for low usage - emergency only users at a reasonable price?

All I need are the SIM cards, have the phones

I believe Orange does a low cost monthly contract plan. The only other suggestion would be something like Sim4travel which although UK based actually uses the Liechtenstein network to provide low-cost roaming, i.e. it is free to receive and cheap to call in just about any country worldwide. As long as you make one call every three months the credit does not expire.

Virgin 10€ card lasts three months, unexpired credit is not lost when new card is activated. Network is Orange, calls are cheaper than Carrefour. Hardly worth changing though for such a small advantage.

Steve

[quote user="Valleyboy"]I'm very pleased with Orange Initial contract - €7 p.mth., calls €0.45 p.min. - but if you're not already with Orange Fr. you need an open or unlocked phone. Also there is no 12 month lock-in.[/quote]

Will,

It is as Valleyboy describes, although mine is an ancient contract called Compte Mobile and it is actually 7 € 50 per month (somehow 50 cts more than taking out the new contract !!!)

The benefit, if you can a call it that, is that you can put in however many Euros you want, and it does not run out. When France will come up with the basic idea that PAYG monies should be non time limited without a monthly abonnement, is anyones guess. They had one such service of course (NRJ) but that stopped a little while back.

The Orange Initial isn't a PAYG system. You sign a direct debit and away you go. We use it and have been pleased with it. It means that if you do have an emergency you are not going to run out of credit at a crucial moment and 7€ a month isn't a lot really. Don't loose it though or you could finish up with a large bill!

"Sc, Can't find the 10Euro offer on Virgin.fr, do they have a name for the offer?"

Sorry for the slow reply, I don't look in that often.

The Virgin  address you want is  http://www.virginmobile.fr/lv_cartes_prepayes.php

"La carte SIM
La carte sim seule est disponible à 15€ seulement et les recharges 10, 20, 30, 40€ ont toutes la même durée de validité : 3 mois en émission (1 mois pour l’offre 30J) et 6 mois de plus en réception. "

Steve

[quote user="Jonzjob"]The Orange Initial isn't a PAYG system. You sign a direct debit and away you go. We use it and have been pleased with it. It means that if you do have an emergency you are not going to run out of credit at a crucial moment and 7€ a month isn't a lot really. Don't loose it though or you could finish up with a large bill![/quote]

I use the Orange Initial (or the same reasons - when you suddenly need to make a load of calls you know it wont expire on credit).

When I took out the contract it was just 7€ per month and you pay for calls (slightly less than PAYG but not a lot less). However, I have the impression from the bills I've been receiving that you now get a few minutes calls included each month (I have a feeling its 10 mins per month but not 100% sure on that).

Ian

[quote user="Deimos"]

However, I have the impression from the bills I've been receiving that you now get a few minutes calls included each month (I have a feeling its 10 mins per month but not 100% sure on that).

Ian

[/quote]

I have just had a look at our latest bill (7.85€. Whos a spendthrift then?), but I can't find anything about free mins. What I did see was that we have accrued 333 Orange points? Anyone know what they are [8-)]???? Not bin noticed before?

[quote user="Jonzjob"][quote user="Deimos"]

However, I have the impression from the bills I've been receiving that you now get a few minutes calls included each month (I have a feeling its 10 mins per month but not 100% sure on that).

Ian

[/quote]

I have just had a look at our latest bill (7.85€. Whos a spendthrift then?), but I can't find anything about free mins. What I did see was that we have accrued 333 Orange points? Anyone know what they are [8-)]???? Not bin noticed before?

[/quote]

Then the Initial account is not like the old account of Compte Mobile at all, which is PAYG.

The Orange points one accrues can be set off against phones etc in the boutique.

We exchange the mobile phone every so often by giving in all our points "earned" and usually paying more Euros on top to get another mobile phone. The points are gained through the amounts paid to Orange through calls or monthly abonnements.

From the Orange Website

Découvrez le mobile sans engagement

L’accès le plus simple sans rechargement

Un numéro de téléphone pour appeler et être joint en cas de besoin
Toutes les garanties et services Orange inclus
Toutes les garanties et services Orange inclus
Tarification à la seconde dès la 1ère seconde
7€/mois pour être joignable
0,45€/min (1) pour téléphoner vers les fixes et les mobiles
Le mobile sans engagement : 10 min de communications offertes

[quote user="BJSLIV"]

No, its a low cost contract, with no long term tie in, and very little by way of free calls.

It will work out cheaper than throwing away minutes on PAYG, as long as you very rarely use the thing!

[/quote]

So you get billed monthly for calls used in that month ? Think I prefer my contract but then again, it is not available any more, just like EJP with electricity, they stop them if they get too popular and they find other ways to cop more money off you, whilst letting the client think they are still getting a good deal !! [;-)]

bonjour will .i am also going to be a low mobile phone user .what would you suggest pour moi.i have an old" nokia brick "at the moment would it be easier to just buy a new mobile in france or get the sim card changed in the uk ?merci d,avance john.ps i noticed orange top up cards in the local vival shop.

Don't buy a phone in France, better to unlock yours, or buy an unlocked one (Ebay?) so you can use any SIM card. Which card will be best for you depends on how much you use the phone abroad, whether to make or receive calls, and how much you call landlines/other mobiles both at home and abroad, and whether you want one phone number for home and abroad or you would prefer separate ones. Orange in Britain and Orange in France are totally different networks, and the cards are not interchangeable, so you need a French Orange SIM card. www.0044.com is a useful site for buying foreign SIM cards.