Freebox receives but won't send email

My Freebox is still fine for internet, but after working perfectly well last time I was in France a month ago, I have found that I can't SEND email using Outlook - get a message "unable to connect to server, error 0x800ccc0e".   This occurs on all my accounts using MS Outlook, and also on my wife's laptop using Outlook Express. Both worked fine on leaving the UK on Friday but produced same result on connecting to the Freebox at the weekend.  So it looks like something has changed with France Free.

I have found some troubleshooting stuff on the web which indicates that this is something which may involve our antivirus and firewall software, but even with both turned off the problem remains.  Anyone else had similar problems and have a solution? It is really maddening having to go to a webmail server to send anything.

Steve 

I think you will find that Free have modified the software defaults to stop you sending mail using servers other than their own.

Can you send using their email address (fred @free.fr) rather than , say a UK, one?

If you can send using their email service, then you need to change the settings of your box. A bit of unticking is required , as explained here.

http://www.geckozone.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=353871#353871

I would certainly check the smtp address you are using first - it needs to correspond with your isp - in this case smtp.free.fr

To check/change in outlook go to tools>accounts, select mail, then the account you want to change; then on the servers page you shoudl see the smtp listed

As I said in my earlier posting Free have implemented a block on non Free servers unless you modify the options in the Freebox settings to specifically allow access. This change has been implemented in the last few weeks by an automatic software download to the Freebox. Its designed to cut reduce SPAM being transmitted through their system.  I suspect that the OP is trying to use their UK servers , hence the problem.

Many thanks all for the suggestions. Changing the outbound server does seem to have fixed it. Having to do this is a bit of a pain as my outgoing mail actually goes through my business server and a relay system - a process which I don't fully (!!??) understand anyway.  I wish outfits like Free wouldn't make these changes without alerting people (they may have done but I don't check the free email as I never use it).   Anyway at least I can get my wife's to work - just have to remember to switch it again when we go home.

Thanks again

Steve