A friend with a freeview card and a very good signal cannot get channel 5, message says 'no satellite signal being received', he does get channel 4 and all the BBC, ITV channels etc, does anybody have any ideas why no channel 5?

Not wishing to be picky, but I assume you mean a 'Freesat' card and that this guy is in France. I ask because a while ago, I was trying to help someone on a technical forum who didn't know the difference and confusion reigned until I managed to get the correct info from him.

So, making the assumption that it is a Freesat system you're playing with, can I ask 'have you just installed this equipment?' and if so, how long has it been switched on for. The reason for asking is that the cards have to receive a 'stay alive' signal from the satellite and this may take up to two or three days. Also, I've known for the signal to activate different channels at different times.

If  I have the wrong end of the stick then please let me know.

Regards - Tim

At the moment (I believe, it certainly was the case) channel 5 is only available on a sky receiver with a sky viewing card, even a very old one like mine. Something to do with free to air not actually meaning that bacause chennel 5 are still under contract to sky.

I changed from a digital FTA receiver for that reason, pretty soon I am going to bite the bullet, say goodbye to UK television and swing my parabole back to the other Astra european satellite, like many things I just havn't got around to it - weak excuse.

Not quite right - Channel 4 does also rely on a card, but ITV followed the BBC route just over a year ago and are now FTA.

This issue always seems to cause confusion - you are correct Five are FTV as are Channel 4 - this means that those with a Sky box need a FTV (free to view) card - usually blue with a yellow house on it - to get both channels along with Sky 3, Five US and Five Life.

Those of you who don't have a card, or are using a different kind of receiver will not be able to get these FTV channels.

It has been rumoured for some time that Channel 4 may change to being a FTA (free to air) channel like the Beeb later this year, or early next year - we shall see - or not!!

Regards - Tim