Change IE Homepage from MSN Default

In the "PC Tip of The Day" thread sombody mentioned that they couldn't change the Homepage from MSN.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/945441/ShowPost.aspx

I started this thread and would like to keep it purely for tips and not problem solving hence this new post.

I have seen particular this problem before but there does not seem to be a one stop fix for it however, if you happen to suffer from this then there are a couple of things to try.

Firstly start up in in safe mode and then change the Homepage in Internet Options. Sometimes this "sticks" sometimes not. (Hint: press F8 during Boot up!)

If this doesn't work then search the Registry for   Homepage   and delete any keys you find with that word.

NOTE: If you have to ask "where or what is the Registry", or have to be reminded to create a System Restore point before messing with it then I respectfully suggest that perhaps you shouldn't be in it in the first place......[;-)]

I don't see the problem myself  probably as I use Mozilla Firefox.

If it's possible, download Mozilla and it will put an ICON on your desktop.

Use this and it will load Mozilla but you can still use a MSN Hotmail account for your e-mails.

I used to use AOL as my e-mail account but accessing from elsewhere proved to much of a pain so changed it accordingly.

AOL is still my ISP but I don't use them.

David

It was me - my apologies.

Firstly, it's not my computer - the owners, as I said, are not bothered. I was just having a quick look at it for them a few months ago as their grandchild had completely messed up their internet connection over the Christmas holidays.

I managed to sort that out for them and it was then I noticed the issue over the Internet homepage. Of course I did the obvious thing of changing it in the options menu and it immediately changed it back to MSN. I then ran out of time as they had visitors.

What did concern me was the severe lack of any protection on their machine - hence my remarks about what caused this problem in the first place and what else could be lurking on their machine.

I suppose when it grinds to a halt - it was already rather sluggish - I'll get a call to go and sort it out and install the full range of protection/blocking/removing kit I keep on the memory stick for just such occasions.

Tim