Considering a move from Australia to France

I actually wouldn't feel hopeless about it at all. It's funny but now that I'm home I realise how much French I really did pick up without even knowing it. Just looking at road signs ,  going shopping and reading billboards will add hundreds of words to your vocab subconsciously. Even now I still listen online to RTL2 radio from France and I can decipher the commercials quite well.  I was watching an interview with the Tourde France French stage winner last night and understood what he was talking about...i wouldn't have before I had gone there. My experience there was too short, I needed longer in hindsight. But I was only there for a total of maybe 14 days and did gain a lot...I imagine a couple of months would be a different story altogether. I haven't given up...I just have a more realistic and less naive and romantic view on the whole pack up and leave thing. That'sa good thing. It's just about doing thorough research and planning....I would go for it, but use your head to guide you and not just your heart!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't give up your dream.  I am a 40 year old Australian woman who decided three years ago that France would be a lot of fun to live in.  I moved over here with about three words of French and haven't stopped laughing yet.  For me, the frustration with the language is a constant source of amusement.  I suppose it all depends on how you look at it.  It is really surprising how you can manage to get yourself understood by the French and being an Aussie gives you an added advantage over being English (sorry to all the English out there) because Australia is so far away and they will love talking about it.

Coming from Queensland, I find the climate where I live (Centre) much better i.e. not so hot!  The wine has less chemicals and doesn't give me a headache the day after and the French love my relaxed Aussie spirit.  My days off are spent wandering around Chateaux and trying to work my way through French paperwork (the not so fun bit).

If you want to know more about this Australians experience in France, you can have a look at my diary at www.lucaylemale.com

Thanks LyndaandRichard. I'm also from QLD but I love the heat so I'm in for a challenge dealing with european winters. Thanks for the votes of confidence. Did you find it hard getting work as an english speaker? I think now work is my major hurdle. I'm looking foward to improving my french skills and testing your theory on wine.

I'm going to read your web page and get as many tips as I can.

Funny, now that  I have REALLY had time to evaluate, I want to be back in France yesterday. There's a property I have had my eye on(several actually!) and it's upsetting me that I can't just head over and spill the cash. Would be a dumb and impulsive move, but the dream is still alive.....as is the prospect of a snow laden winter..would be great for me! oh well ..all in good time I guess..:)

PS..is this French dream a QLD thing?? The Gold Coast is just not doing it for me anymore! :)

lyndaandrichard,

I had a look at your website and noticed it said thay France is the number one destination for Brits moving abroad. However, according to official stats Spain holds that status attracting far more Brits, probably in the main due to better weather in the winter. In fact I believe France actually ranks fourth in that more Brits go to Oz and the USA, with Oz now actively targeting Brits having substatively increased the Brit immigration quota over the last two years.

You may be confusing the statistics with the numbers of Brits buying second homes abroad, rather than those permanently emigrating.

When you moved did either of you have EU ancestry like a lot of people from OZ, as entitlement to an EU passport makes life a whole lot easier. Without which you have to prove to the French authorities you are not taking a job that could be done by another EU national.

• 4 weeks later...

For "Gods" sake this is all that is wrong with people living in France who originated from the UK. I have worked all over the world. "Brits" British. "Pakis" Pakistanis", "Krauts" Germans, "Kloggies" Dutch, "Yanks" Americans, "Noggies" Norwegians nobody has hangups with this terminology. The only time this becomes an issue with people who have led insular lives. I am Scottish or "Jock" but unoffended by that name. If I said I was English where I live in France I would be not be treated so well. Go Figure!

This post was about people moving from Australia to France and what problems they will have when they get here.

Forget the I failed and as such you are more than likely to do so. Learn the language prior to your arrival and work hard when you do arrive and you will be ok.

"What is impossible for some people is a walk in the park for others"

Regards

Jock

More or less exactly what I said......if you work hardyou will always be ok.Moving away from your original homeland is never easy but if you are not prepared to put effort[and time] into your new life...how can it happen for you.In uk if you get into a financial pickle the goverment helps;rents paid and there is some money to live on......as long as you do not own your own buisness!Every one comes into the world with the same chances....we then go on to make our own destiny....but working hard is a great  part of sucess and survival.

[quote user="Sprogster"]When you moved did either of you have EU ancestry like a lot of people from OZ, as entitlement to an EU passport makes life a whole lot easier. Without which you have to prove to the French authorities you are not taking a job that could be done by another EU national.[/quote] 

I was born in Brisbane but was lucky enough to have an English-born father, which gave me entitlement to a UK passport.  I could probably have moved here due to my husbands UK birth, but we thankfully never had to go down that route, so I wouldn't know what's involved. 

Lynda

• 1 year later...
Hi everybody.....

what can I say for myself I made it works out .... since now almost 8 years I´m living in Paris and enjoy my "new" life, friends, job & everything. Thx god there´s skype so I can keep in touch with family and friends in Brissy!!!

Btw what happens to you guys... did you Daniel move to France with your maybe wife now?

Lynda are you still enjoying your stay here?

Megan did you make it? Are you now in France?

Such is life I got a lot of french people here wishing to settle in Australia.....

Thx for your answer...

Guys is there or do you know other aussies in Paris?

I live between Port Royal and Montparnasse for those who knows Paris City.... enjoying everyday the city and french people. Thx god I found a job in tourisme without I would probably be a little bit "out" I´m still improving my french day after day but it´s like an everyday game :)

Read ya soon