Considering a move from Australia to France

Getting back to the question regarding employment chances in rural France for younger people - It would appear (near me anyhow) that jobs are hard to find and not terribly well paid.  But also there is demand for quality freelance workers in many spheres (building, plumbing, writing, marketing, sales, IT, customer service, tourism, childcare, driving, agriculture, viticulture, teaching, music, accountancy, translation, property etc etc)

If you can give up the monotony of having your income divided up into 12 evenly sized cheques spread equi-distant throughout the year, you could probably make a go of freelancing your skills to numerous clients.

I'm in my mid thirties - so, OK not exactly a teenager - and moved here with my wife nearly 4 years ago.  Self employment/freelancing worked for us before (in the UK) and continues to work for us here.  All the locals have been most supportive and friendly (and the local expats too...though amongst them I guess we ARE young!!) - there are lots of people who would help setting up a small-holding like the type you describe.

The older French generation are not I would guess as entrepreneurial as their US, UK or Aussie peers but younger French people have more of that spirit - I know of a few people in their twenties setting up on there own and making a go of it.

You have a few preperation years yet - get your language skills up to speed and GO FOR IT...it may not be easy, but you'll love trying!

Best wishes,

Ian

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Pommie' and 'yankie' as words do not refer to a particular 'race' but nationalities. They do not refer to colour and that is why I found your 'A-O' word offensive, as an Australian. And who used it...you or her?.  You know darn well that 'A-O' is a racist and derogatory term in Australia, used to describe the indigenous Australians, and if this site was Australian hosted you would not have been allowed to use it. And this site states that 'racist terms' are not tolerated, so why did you use it here?. I assume from your posts that you lived in a rural area in Australia and I know that people from rural areas use the same lingo as you do. Sorry, it's wrong and why did you think it would be acceptable here?.

The only reason that 'culture' and 'history' is limited in OZ is because we are a nation that was only settled in 1788, unfortunately most of our 'history' lies within our efforts in fighting and dying for the British Empire. But give us time. We will exist while Mother England continues to sink; and for those of you who have come to France to escape the social and economic problems there you surely must agree otherwise you are hypocrites.

I can only assume that, as you deny any existence of 'culture' in Australia your life there was limited to football, the radio, the TV and looking for an alternative route into town and searching for water.

Either way, it was good enough to leave your child there while you came here 'for the good life'.[:P]

That 'signature site' belongs to my other-half' not me. And it does not state 'racist perspectives'.

[quote user="wen"]

'Pommie' and 'yankie' as words do not refer to a particular 'race' but nationalities. They do not refer to colour and that is why I found your 'A-O' word offensive, as an Australian.

[/quote]

Just because they are terms that refer to nationalities rather than races they are not in any way exempted  from being derogatory or xenophobic. It is the usage of a word that makes it offensive, not the assembly of letters.

[quote user="wen"]

'Pommie' and 'yankie' as words do not refer to a particular 'race' but nationalities. They do not refer to colour and that is why I found your 'A-O' word offensive, as an Australian. And who used it...you or her?.  You know darn well that 'A-O' is a racist and derogatory term in Australia, used to describe the indigenous Australians, and if this site was Australian hosted you would not have been allowed to use it. And this site states that 'racist terms' are not tolerated, so why did you use it here?. I assume from your posts that you lived in a rural area in Australia and I know that people from rural areas use the same lingo as you do. Sorry, it's wrong and why did you think it would be acceptable here?.

The only reason that 'culture' and 'history' is limited in OZ is because we are a nation that was only settled in 1788, unfortunately most of our 'history' lies within our efforts in fighting and dying for the British Empire. But give us time. We will exist while Mother England continues to sink; and for those of you who have come to France to escape the social and economic problems there you surely must agree otherwise you are hypocrites.

I can only assume that, as you deny any existence of 'culture' in Australia your life there was limited to football, the radio, the TV and looking for an alternative route into town and searching for water.

Either way, it was good enough to leave your child there while you came here 'for the good life'.[:P]

That 'signature site' belongs to my other-half' not me. And it does not state 'racist perspectives'.

[/quote]

I would hate to be married to wen and , go home with ten bob short in my wages!

As a non Australian following this thread with some interest I wonder if the so called 'racist 'comment was not, in fact, a case of forum shorthand. Perhaps, as a relative newcomer to the Australian way of life, he believed, from common usage, that the words used were a slang description of life before the British and Dutch pillaged  the continent. I note that great stress was placed upon the 4000 years of occupation of the content by its aboriginal population but from the same(?) source, after quoting major Australians (Dame Edna, Rolf Harris and a few others if I remember but missing Dame Kirri), then winged on that of course the list would be longer if the countries history spread further back than 1788. And criticising the French Revolution for  excess when removing a tyrannical regime (and installing a republic) while not accepting the genocide of the aboriginal inhabitants by the forebears of the writer decidedly placed the author beyond the pale.

The original post was a simple request, a first post, and surely we owe everyone the courtesy of a civil reply, help and understanding. Surely this forum is not the platform for trendy wendies and luney liberals or any other fascist group that tries to belittle well meaning, if occasionally misguided, people.

What did I start here???

In defence of Richard, the term "Abo" like it or not,  is a term that I hear a great many Aussies use when describing the indiginous population. It would seem to me that it was used here as a short hand term and nothing more. I certainly don't detect any malice or racist overtones here. I don't see any difference in people's use of Pom, frog, yank (or seppo) kiwi and the list goes on. I totally get what was said also about our history. I have visited our museums and galleries several times, and to be honest the aboriginal art and culture just doesn't hold much interest for me. Does that make me, Richard or anybody else racist because we would find European art, culture, architecture etc etc more appealing and exciting over Native Austrailan history? If it does then people really need to lighten up.

Retread, not wishing to undermine your calm and well reasoned response, I feel I should point out Dame Kiri Te Kanawa is from New Zealand, not Aus.

I always thought it was unwritten forum etiquette that a new poster is welcomed and given a bit of latitude. In this case, he used a word that many find offensive and was flamed. To be honest, I don't like the word and rank it among others I won't state here now but have now fallen from grace, having once been in pretty normal usage. In my book, pretty much any word which describes a group of people according to racial, rather than geographic origin is worth avoiding and I don't really feel it's overly PC to feel that way.

Wen's comments were a bit of a rant, covering and mixing all manner of partial fact and opinion. They also contained a nasty tinge of metropolitan snobbery about rural communities, which is about as offensive as rascism. I too, as a Brit, support Aus becoming a republic, in the same way as I wish the UK were. And I'm pleased France is one too. I found offensive the comment " Mother England continues to sink; and for those of you who have come to France to escape the social and economic problems there you surely must agree otherwise you are hypocrites". Excessive reading of the Daily Mail methinks!

Welcome to the forum Daniel!

I recall Australian TV presenter, artist and all round good-egg Rolf Harris apologising on TV about Christmas time last year for a verse in his 1950-something hit record "Tie me Kangaroo Down, Sport" that had the word "Abo" in it.  He regretted using the word, believed it to be racist and hadn't sung that verse for over 40 years.

Personally I don't waste my energy getting offended (particularly by forum posters) - however if my standards of taste and decency were found to be 40 years behind Rolf Harris' then I might consider modifying my behaviour.

Daniel - don't let this thread put you off posting.

All the best,

Ian (or Taffy to you boyo, there's lovely isn't it!)

[quote user="darnsarf"]

Retread, not wishing to undermine your calm and well reasoned response, I feel I should point out Dame Kiri Te Kanawa is from New Zealand, not Aus.

Sorry but It was midnight here when I posted although the mistake would support other arguments

Wen's comments were a bit of a rant, covering and mixing all manner of partial fact and opinion. They also contained a nasty tinge of metropolitan snobbery about rural communities, which is about as offensive as rascism. I too, as a Brit, support Aus becoming a republic, in the same way as I wish the UK were. And I'm pleased France is one too. I found offensive the comment " Mother England continues to sink; and for those of you who have come to France to escape the social and economic problems there you surely must agree otherwise you are hypocrites". Excessive reading of the Daily Mail methinks!

[/quote]

And just so I should not be misunderstood I have always supported the rights of individuals to freedom and happiness, as a member of a persecuted minority myself I understand.

How would you like to go through life being called 'ginger'.

[quote user="darnsarf"]

I always thought it was unwritten forum etiquette that a new poster is welcomed and given a bit of latitude. In this case, he used a word that many find offensive and was flamed. To be honest, I don't like the word and rank it among others I won't state here now but have now fallen from grace, having once been in pretty normal usage. In my book, pretty much any word which describes a group of people according to racial, rather than geographic origin is worth avoiding and I don't really feel it's overly PC to feel that way.

[/quote]

It wasn't Daniel who used the word. It was me (Richard).

I have since spoken to Lynda about this, and she agrees with the majority that it is a racist term and not to be used. So again, I apologise for any offence I have caused. I will certainly not be using that term again.

So, back onto what this thread is about....

To go back to possible areas of work for a moment....

In my travels through Northern France over the last couple of years, I have noticed how warmly regarded the Aussies are around the World War I battle areas of Fromelles (59), Péronne (80) and, especially, Villers-Bretonneux (80). The latter small town, to the east of Amiens, has a Franco-Australian museum - once a school for local children, built by the State of Victoria - and many Australian monuments of one sort and another.  

I don't know if this means it would be possible to find, or set up, work as a battlefield guide or something similar?

Angela

[quote user="Loiseau"]

To go back to possible areas of work for a moment....

In my travels through Northern France over the last couple of years, I have noticed how warmly regarded the Aussies are around the World War I battle areas of Fromelles (59), Péronne (80) and, especially, Villers-Bretonneux (80). The latter small town, to the east of Amiens, has a Franco-Australian museum - once a school for local children, built by the State of Victoria - and many Australian monuments of one sort and another.  

I don't know if this means it would be possible to find, or set up, work as a battlefield guide or something similar?

Angela

[/quote]

The above job might appeal to wen

There was a actually a tv show on recently over here talking about Villers-Bretonneux, and yes it seemed from that that the Australians are welcomed very warmly. That would seem like a great solution to short term employment. The only problem is that we are pretty well set on south west France at this time. I would welcome really cold weather in winter, but my other half would most certainly freeze to the core in northern France!! [:(]

Daniel, here in the sunny south west it was 15 degrees high yesterday. Not normal for the season and it is due to be 31 on Sunday. However, in the Winter here it does get to minus 10 and frequently just a high of minus 1 or 2. The southwest might be pretty warm in the Summer but make sure the heating system is good for the Winter - you will need it.

Danny

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Hi,

I went on my voyage of discovery and returned home a few weeks ago.

I started in Paris(which I loved), went to Rome for a bit and Amalfi Coast for a bit, went back to France via Switzerland and got myself a rental car and drove from Nice to Toulouse and lots of places in between in order to get  a feel for what France can offer me.

Unfortunately my timetable was very tight, because I had to be back in London at a certain date, so I saw a lot of towns, but didn't really get the chance to immerse myself in any of them for any great length of time. :(

My thoughts on a permanent move....well at times I thought this is the place for me(especially in towns like Narbonne-I really pictured a life there) and then at others when I was trying to manoever through peak hour traffic in Marseille and Toulouse and getting lost along the way, I was cursing the place and couldn't wait to leave for the UK.

Now that I am home and the dust has settled, I can say that overall, France is great. It's friendly(even in Paris!! when you make an effort with people), it's for the most part cheap. (Supermarket food and certainly market food is excellent and I found that even with our hideous exchange rate it was cheaper in France than Aus for many things) It's beautiful in many parts, and there is terrific choice between coastal areas and the country, both of which have a lot to offer.

My main worry and probably the deal breaker in making a move is employment. Although I have been learning French  (have stopped for the time being tho-needed to get a life and read other things and watch things other than french movies!) I realised that it would likely take me a few years at least to become comfortable to feel part of the place, and as such get gainful employment. I really didn't see any evidence that I could realistically step into any sort of job in France with my limited French, and make enough money to support myself to the extent that I could enjoy the environment in which I would be living in.

So for now, things are on hold. I still have hopes of making a move to Europe at some stage, just where and when remains a mystery. Buying a property is only a very small part of the equation. There are bargains to be had and it will probably get even cheaper soon in some areas, but there is a lot to consider and that will take some time to sort out.

Daniel

Oh No Daniel, I was so hopeful for you !!

I'm planning to do the same as you in about 6 months (see post "nurse and husband moving to France for more than a year"), but I've not been getting much encouragment.

I've been slaving away at french lessons every week for nearly 40 weeks, I still feel totally incompetent. I've been hoping to find somebody that believes it can happen, now you might drop out of the race and I feel more hopeless than ever!

I love Australia and will always call it home but I have dreamed of living and speaking french for over 10 years. In retrospect I should have done a gap year straight after high school.

So now I want a grown-up gap year when my husband I can afford it but it just seems so hard. I wish someone would say, "Go for it, you'll pick up the language once you are speaking it everyday." It hasn't happened yet.

Argh, I feel like giving up.