2nd telephone line and ISDN

Hello, all.  Because we are out in the sticks of the Correze, ADSL is virtually unheard of.  So earlier in the summer I opted for a hybrid system - dial up up, and satellite down.  This works failrly well - download speeds are around 2 Mbs, which is acceptable.

The obvious problem with this arrangement is that whilst engaged in internet activity, the phone line is tied up, sometimes for hours (my wife doing genealogy research) and no-one can contact us.

Has anyone in a similar position installed a second phone line, with (or without) ISDN?  If so, do you have a ball-park figure of the approximate cost?  I ask about ISDN because it would provide a more stable (and quicker) option for our uploads.

The promised Wimax system for our area looks like being hit and miss, and probably expensive.

Chris

A few options spring to mind.

1) Get Skype and pay the little bit extra for a Skype in number then pick up the calls on the PC

2) If you have 128Kbit ISDN, this is in effect 2  lines of 64Kbit.  If 'er indoors can put up with 64Kbit upload speeds then you can use the other for a normal voice line

3)for the times when the phone is tied up, divert the calls to a mobile or to your Skype in number or to an answering service with a 'we'll call you back' type message

Thanks for your reply, Pierre - we can't use Skype, because as I said, we don't have broadband proper.  The dial-up part of our connection precludes this.

Neither do we have ISDN - yet.  My enquiry relating to ISDN was in respect of price and stability.  My system will work with an analogue or ISDN uplink - the latter will be faster, which is what I want, but I would prefer a second, independent line for this.

We have a UK mobile, and don't, at this stage, want to get a French one.

So, does anyone have previous experience of installing a second line, and possibly ISDN?

Chris

I have a customer who cannot get ADSL but  doesn't need satellite speeds so I advised them to get ISDN. FT told them that they no longer supply new installations of ISDN. I don't know if this applies to the whole of France but it certainly does in dept. 79.

So looks like your only option is a second line. Cost should be approx 155€ to have it fitted and then the normal monthly line rental.

HTH

Tim

FT told them that they no longer supply new installations of ISDN. I don't know if this applies to the whole of France but it certainly does in dept. 79.

We were told much the same thing four or five years ago. One of the armchair lawyers here insisted that FT was legally bound to provide ISDN if requested but I didn't think the aggravation was worth it, so we had a second line, very simple and not expensive.