BROADBAND TELEPHONE CONNECTION

I am Philouis and not Ernie Y or just Ernie. My problem it would seem, according to Mr Telleconnect, is that I am on the borders of their station at 5.3kms. It would therefore follow, I might get some interference! They did not  inform me of this fact when I made my first approach to them to join up.

However, I am getting much better service than I got from Tiscali and Wannadoo (that was!)  I bear in mind that old saying 'nobody is perfect', but they are more perfect than the other two! But the most important asset, is that they have a free helpline and you can speak to their operators and technicians in English. That makes it all very worth while! Although I do speak a quite a little French, but not computer French, which is another language altogether!

This last little snippet about being 5.3km from the exchange (not Teleconnect's "station", they have no such thing) is a crucial one and is probably responsible for the majority of your problems, if it's a very old line too this can only make matters worse. It's a bit trite for Teleconnect to blame your socket for your ills, it could be a factor but is unlikely to be a major contributor to them especially if you experience no symptoms such as crackling and dropouts on the phone itself.

Interference on the other hand is a strong possibility on long lines. The telephone cable can act like an antenna picking up radio, and perhaps other signals, and any such interference on what is already a marginal system can make the difference between it working and not. A shorter line will be less susceptible to interference and will tolerate it much better producing perhaps just a degradation in speed rarther than a complete loss of connection.

If you can find the relevant figures in your router you can enter them HERE and get an idea of the capabilities of your line. I suspect the picture will not be a rosy one.

Remember too that every router is different and some will naturally perform better than others under difficult conditions. The fact you are getting a better service from Teleconnect could be down to nothing more than that. Your line is a constant whichever ISP you're with and therefore, all other things being equal, should make no difference.

Unfortunately, with the majority of French ISPs, if you want to use their VOIP service you have to use the router they supply you with. If you're willing to forego VOIP (you can always use Skype instead) then you could think about buying a different router which has reputation for performing well at the extremes.

hi,

I am a telconnect customer who was having mega problems with VOIP connection dropping several times during the day and ofcourse phone calls interrupted also. Now I did what the technical bloke told me, ditched most of the wires in telephone socket leaving grey and white. Voila..... [:)] 3 times faster download speed and no interruptions at all,  although when I get up in the morning I switch the box off then on to reinstate the VOIP as it always goes off overnight. Since the wire change, everything OK. Now they are offering to replace FT as the line provider. Think I may just stay with FT , you never know when the pc may go off.[:(]

cartref