Sky aerial cable - do I need a special aerial fixing?

I'm rather a dunce on Sky set-up so apologies if this is a really dumb question.  In our new house there is a Sky satellite dish with the aerial lead coming through into one of the rooms but the previous owner cut off the aerial plug-in metal piece, so all we have is a cable lead with the wire core in the middle.  Can I fix on an ordinary TV aerial connection, so I can plug it in, or does it have to be a special Sky one?  And hot does it fix on to the wire on the end of the cdable?

Thanks in advance for your helpful answers.

The plugs for the coax for satellite are known as "F" type connectors.  As has already been stated, they are cheap and available at most bricos.  Strip back the (usually black) insulation on the outside of the coax and fold the metal foil (or braiding) back over the black plastic outer skin, trim the insulation (normally white or clear) from the centre conductor core, push on the plug and screw clockwise until tight, and then trim off the remaining wire of the central core sticking out of the end.  Make sure that there is no short between the inner core and braiding.  Job done.

Chris