Can anyone tell me if my old nokia phone charged up with an Orange mobicarte will work in the uk? And if I run out of time or euros can I recharge from my phone? I normally only go to the UK for a couple of days and don't take my phone but this time it will be for a month to take care of my mother. Thanks for your help.

If your mobile is already using a French Orange mobicarte, then it will work fine in the UK, and you will be able to make and receive calls.  You are not able to use your credit/debit card to top-up your mobile by phone for the first month or so after you open a mobicarte account, and have to buy top-ups in tabacs or similar.  So if you are not yet using a mobicarte it might be too late for you. 

If you are already able to recharge your mobile via a credit/debit card, you've got no problems, you can do this just as easily from the Uk by pressing #123#.

Remember to set your secret code for you messagerie before leaving France, or you won't be able to pick up messages left there.  You can do this by calling 888.

If your handset is unlocked and most of your calls will be to and from the UK, you could consider buying a UK network SIM card as your calls will be much cheaper – most UK network SIMs are under £5.  In fact you can buy a complete Pay As You Go phone from Woolworths from £10!

Tesco sell PAYG SIMs for £2.47 (Tesco Mobile ‘Standard’ SIM) – calls to UK and 50 overseas countries including France, landlines or mobiles, cost 20p per minute.