How to wire one of these ? Picture included...

I'm trying to work out how this is wired up ?

[IMG]http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll191/joiedevielf/avsocket.jpg[/IMG]

I'm less interested in the ethernet part of it, but really the TV and SAT coaxial.. I have 2 lengths of coax coming into the box - one for the TV and one for the SAT. I can only see one hole for the centre core of the coax and that's on the SAT side ? Also, it seems all the 'outer' braided part of both incoming coaxes gets sandwiched into the same bit ? Sorry, I'm normally quite clever but this one's caught me out !

Many thanks...

[quote user="clarksinfrance"]You need another box, which collects the signals from the TV aerial, Sattelite Dish. Then you need run one coaxial cable from the collector to the box shown. The Ethernet cable is run separately (I think)

[/quote]

.. How boring - I was really just hoping for a simple distribution box. Yet another bad purchase.. Why would you want to go through another box before the distribution terminal here ?

[quote user="joidevie"] 

I have 2 lengths of coax coming into the box - one for the TV and one for the SAT.  [/quote]

That's your mistake. You should only have one coax coming into the box and that coax carries a combined satellite and TV signal. The satellite signal and TV signal are usually combined up on the chimney and the one coax lead then feeds the wall plate that you show in the image.

[quote user="Quillan"]I think the 'Ethernet' connector may really be a RJ11 socket for a phone.[/quote]

I don't want to be picky Quillan, but I think it's actually an RJ45: the new phone outlet standard. Which is all well and good if the appropriate leads to go between it and the phone or modem/router are available widely. As yet I haven't seen any sign of them.

I hope this box pictured below by the o/p is not the way things are going in future. I much prefer having separate feeds for aerial and dish: the use of this (combining at the head-end) implies that a dish is always going to be on a roof with the aerial. That's a big no-no as far as I'm concerned. I don't mind walking round the end of the barn to brush the snow off the dish, but shinning up an icy roof to do it is definately not on.

And another thing... Who (apart from someone with a new SKY contract) wants a phone socket by the TV? Barmy !

p

[quote user="Gyn_Paul"]

I don't want to be picky Quillan, but I think it's actually an RJ45: the new phone outlet standard.
[/quote]

I'm sure it is an RJ11, too. Not enough connections for a RJ45 (which has 8). RJ45 is indeed the new standard for telephone in France, but I'd say that socket is American?

OP; Your "system" should include a combiner for the TV and satellite signals. This can be as simple as a "passive" box (a small metal thing with 3 "F" connectors on it, or as comples as a multi-output satellite "switch". Where did you get the socket?

[quote user="Gyn_Paul"]
[quote user="Quillan"]I think the 'Ethernet' connector may really be a RJ11 socket for a phone.[/quote]

I don't want to be picky Quillan, but I think it's actually an RJ45: the new phone outlet standard. Which is all well and good if the appropriate leads to go between it and the phone or modem/router are available widely. As yet I haven't seen any sign of them.

[/quote]

You are quite right, you can use RJ45 for a phone outlet combined with Ethernet.

The reason I thought this was that firstly Ethernet cable for Cat 5, 5A, 6 and 6A must use a 'punch down' connection like for instance a Krone type connection and of course you use all 4 pairs of the cable although Ethernet only uses 2 pair and the other 2 are used for phones. http://yoda.uvi.edu/InfoTech/rj45.htm

In the photo it shows a two pair screw down connector.

You are also right again about the availability of RJ45 cables for modems etc although there is loads and loads of RJ11 stuff around. Many devices like modems, routers etc come with a cable with RJ11 on each end and an adapter to fit the particular countries phone socket.

Sky are not the only people to use interactive TV which is becoming more and more popular not to mention games consoles and complete entertainment systems where a computer is also integrated in to the audio visual system. Also with cordless phones you can have the base station anywhere.

Of course, without a closer look it's difficult to say and we could both be wrong.

With regards to the OP's last question, if you visit a Brico Depot or similar there is a normally a section with all this sort of stuff in and many have pictures on the back of the packaging showing how they are connected so you can work it out for yourself.

All new electrical installations  for a Consuel inspection that have a permis de construire dated after January 2008 have to  have all their "prises de communication" ( Phone , TV, etc ) wired using twisted pair CAT 5 cable and use RJ 45 type of socket at the user end . The old type of phone connection is being phased out, as are TV /SAT points. However in my experience the Consuel will take a long time to actually enforce this.

The French wiring Normes state that all  incoming cables for TV, SAT , telephone etc have to arrive in the GTL, and then are distributed to each room . Great system but it will put up the costs of re-wiring due to the extra equipement needed at the GTL end.

Going back to the photo, at first I thought that the OP's photo was a socket for this new application but now with closer inspection I realise it is not. It is definetely an RJ11 socket ( see link below) and then I would guess the blue connector block is for termination of a seperate telephone cable into the box, if required.

I think this socket gives the option of one incoming SAT cable ( perhaps from a combiner/coupler) to give TV and SAT output OR allows two sperate feeds for SAT and TV.

http://www.twenga.fr/offre/0100061093.html

www.punchardrenovation.com

Thanks everyone.. The socket is a Metronic (ie. French) and the additional socket is a 'modem/phone' type socket... I also have a cheapo similar one (without the modem socket) which has a similar wiring setup.

So, my system (?) a sat decoder and a TV set needs a box attached by the aerial & dish (on the pole) and then I only use one of the coaxes (I fitted one for each originally) which feeds to the pictured combined output socket in my first post ? What is the French 'name' for one of these? I presume they are waterproof? Are they expensive? I'm beginning to think about ditching the socket I have and just use the original coaxes I already have & connect them individually !

Thanks again..

Punch - Do you know which sequence they will/are use/using, is it 568A or B?

What does GTL mean, not Guinning Transciever Logic I would imagine, far to technical for even the French. The only others I can think of are Gas to Liquid technolog and Group Term Life, not of which I can imagine have anything to do with TV and things. I don't mean to be glib, I just don't know what it means in  this context.

Gaine Technique De Logement.

All communications, TV, satelleite, phone, internet etc must run direct to this riser (usually beside the tableau) before splitting off to each individual room;

As an example I have a parabole on the wall behind my television but the coax has to go to the GTL and be connected thru a repartitateur before running to the TV, the GTL also contains the master telephone socket.

It certainly adds cost and complication but aids fault finding.

I tried looking up the word repartitateur in my dictionary and on the web but could not find it, could you give us a clue and description. Is this a way also of protecting thinks from lightning strikes and other nasties. Why are they forcing you to run your TV aerial through it, I can understand perhaps the phone but the rest, whats the logic. Also are these items standard items that are put together to make this system and if so what would they be in English?

See where I am coming from is that in the very near future (well in some cases now) the whole house will be wireless, all you will require is a central 'hub' in your cellar with no further cabling required. The new 180MB 802.11n is available for commercial use with even higher speeds available over the next few years. Companies like Samsung already have wireless TV (well except for the power cord) with a media hub that can be located up to 30M away. Sony and other companies are also about to release such products which will include satellite as well. Given that 90% of laptops currently produced are wireless, HP printers have gone wireless, speakers have gone wireless why do we need a copper based distribution system in houses. For instance we don't run our computer network in our house on copper, all those holes and running cable back and forth, pain in the harris. Only our server has a copper connection to the router and base station, everything else is wireless. Our WII has a wireless connection which enables us to play MP4 videos (stored on our server) on our TV. This cost me next to nothing but there are products around for about £150 that bring it all together (TV, HiFi and computer) in to a wireless world. Here is some kit I found on just a quick search.

Wireless TV - http://www.hdtv-news.co.uk/2008/01/25/samsung-fp-t5894-wireless-plasma-tv/

Wireless Audio/Visual Hub - http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=318

Quillan Wrote "  Punch - Do you know which sequence they will/are use/using, is it 568A or B ? "

Not sure  Quillan - isn't one the crossover standard and the other straight through ?   I can see myself doing a lot more RJ45 stuff in the near future.  I've got all the tooling and plugs and do a bit of network wiring but have yet to do a complete French installation using the new Normes and using the hubs. I've got some new bedside reading with this new book I bought a month or so ago - just can't seem to get round to reading it yet !!

http://www.editions-eyrolles.com/Livre/9782212117585/guide-du-cablage-universel

GTL has been answered I think - apart from the fact it's worth mentioning that the main voltage equipment also shares the GTL with communications equipment. Obligatory on all new installations. A simple French google search will bring up tons of boring info on the subject including diagrams of GTL and sizes etc.

Quillan also wrote " I tried looking up the word repartitateur in my dictionary and on the web but could not find it, could you give us a clue and description. Is this a way also of protecting thinks from lightning strikes and other nasties. Why are they forcing you to run your TV aerial through it, I can understand perhaps the phone but the rest, whats the logic. Also are these items standard items that are put together to make this system and if so what would they be in English?

Blimey you need to buy a new dictionary then - seriously though you spelt it wrong that's all [:D] Basically a repartiteur is a distributor . Has a feed in and then whatever signal is then distributed around the house, nothing to do with lightning strikes although they don't take too kindly to them! Best to install a parafoudre ( that's in the dictionary!) for that. The logic is that all services are grouped togther in one central place in a house for easier maintenace and diagnostics.

The whole idea I suppose is to gradually bring all French housing stock up to a certain standard which is why the Consuel ask for X numbers of points per room etc.

There's a sort of time lag which affects all big organisations and committees and French ones are no exception, which is why the new normes are likely to be overtaken by technology. The consuel will still be insisting on phone sockets in each room and miles and miles of cabling going round the house to the impoverishment of the homeowner and the enrichment of the cable manufacturers, at a time when wireless distribution of audio, TV, and internet will be cheap and common-place, and as for every phone having a wire on the end and plugging into a wall socket ?? My dear, how passe : and how positively antidiluvian !

p