Speedtouch 330 USB modem and Windows Vista

Hi

Anyone done this ?

I'm having problems trying to get my laptop (running Vista) to connect to the web (my ISP is Wanadoo).

I've downloaded the Vista drivers for my speedtouch 330 modem (which works OK from XP) onto the Laptop. The laptop->modem is working fine, however, when  I try to get to Web it can't connect.

This is a really geeky question but ....

I installed the PPPOE 8.35 drivers and then changed the Service Name to P8,35 (which is how XP dials through to Wanadoo). But I still can't connect.  I've read various forum threads on this and no-one seems to have had a definative answer. I was hoping someone within France has got this working. Is the Service name different in Vista?

I will probably go Wireless soon, but don't want the expense of buying one (and it's bank holiday this weekend) and I have to get some work done. My main PC has just had its power supply go up in flames so I would prefer a backup in case I can't connect via XP.

Many thanks in advance

Danny

Yes,  the drivers on that site are the same as the ones on the Thompson (speedtouch) site. tried those and the Vista41C drivers as well. The advice on the other site is the same problem I am having, what number to call Wanadoo on. 8,35 for the Sagem, P8,35 for the speedtouch from XP. someone takls about using the 6digit number you get the original documentation but I can't find a 6digit number anywhere. I get an error 815, which means that the modem is working but the connection information I'm using is wrong. The Wanadoo site is still saying that the drivers are not available, but I know they are as the Modem is working fine.

Apparently, only the Sagem F@st 800 needs a specific number: any other modem can use, for example, 123456.  Username and password for the account, not forgetting that it's the connection password (fti/...) required here, not the mailbox password.

See <www.orange.fr>, click on 'assistance' (top right), then use the search box 'rechercher dans l'assistance internet'.  Just enter '815' in there and the first result is 'Connexion impossible : erreur 815 (Windows Vista)' -- so you may not be the first to encounter this. [;-)]

been there, done that, got the t-shirt i'm afraid.  First place I searched for help.

sorry to be flipant, but it's driving me up the mur.

I'll try re-installing using a different version of the driver. The Vista41C.exe setup has a couple of alternatives. But it's a bugger to uninstall the original, you have to be in Safe mode to get rid of the actual software even though the uninstall removes the system drivers.

bmt

No offence taken. I'm, supposed to be an IT professional as well! (but I don't do hardware..thats my excuse anyway). I've given up for now. I'll probably go and buy a router on Tuesday and go wireless so both the XP and Vista boxes work. The 25€ power supply I bought to replace the dodgy one that went up in smoke seems to be holding up OK for now at least.  I've got a pet geek up the road so I'll see if he's come across this before. But i reckon he will just tell me to get my Carte Bleu out and buy something new.

[quote user="crazyfrog"]

I'm, supposed to be an IT professional as well!

[/quote]

Me too, that's why I never do USB modems.  Get a proper router

and be done with it.  Netgear are bundling DG834G and WG111 USB WiFi at

the moment (DGB111G), for a very good price.  One of the larger grande

surface will have them on the shelf I expect, otherwise have a look at

www.i-comparateur.com for mail-order options.

€ is plenty for a power supply -- it won't be any worse quality than

OEM.  Provided the original wasn't pushed by another problem and didn't

cause any consequential damage, the replacement will outlast the rest. 

Certainly outlast the modem. [;-)]