Finding free UK channels

Looking through the Astra web site at their list of free channels available at 28.2 east degrees east of south I noted that channels such as Film 4 were not listed - yet my digital decoder pickes them up. Anybody know why this is?

Also, what's the latest on Channel 4 and Channel 5 going out unencrypted?

Thanks guys

I wouldn't bother with the Astra website,  there's a faction within Astra that doesn't really like free to air and it wouldn't surprise me if they don't show all the info deliberately...

http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

is kept up to date and is "neutral"

Ch 4 is already unencrypted,  as described in a thread here in the spring.   If you can't find the thread I'll search and post the exact link.

Ch 5 - ah - who knows.  The people who run ch 5 don't really understand the difference between free to air and free to view,  so it's no good asking them.    The best guess is that until someone clears some space on Astra 2D ch 5 is stuck with being encrypted.    Sky are hardly likely to co-operate.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1203272/ShowPost.aspx

Laters - I notice that in fact a bit of re-organising has been done on 2D and the correct regional versions of ch 4 are now available on 10714 MHz;   it's likely I suspect that the picture quality will be somewhat better than the rather poor FTA feed on 10729 MHz.

Thanks Martin.

If you have the transponder details for Channel Four that would be great (or post the link?)

Again, according to the Astra site Channel Four is 'free conditional' so no other infromation is provided :-/

Cheers. 

The latest info concerning 5 is that they hope to join 'freesat' later this year - that would mean that the encription would have to be removed. This, currently would be 5 only, not Fiver or 5 US and their +1s. That's all the guys at 5 are saying at the moment.

Regards - Tim

I'll go and have a look and report back in a few minutes.....

Laters -  well on my Sky box they all come up as CHANNEL 4,  with no differentiation between regions.   Lyngsat now shows them as being back in Videoguard encryption,  and having only just returned form an unexpectedly boozy session with neighbours I'm in no state to check the veracity of this statement.

However,  I will check in the morning.  In the meantime,  I think I'd stick with 8350 for the moment though!

Even laters - yes,  the 10714 MHz channel four's do appear to be encrypted.   I honestly do wonder what they're playing at.   I'd suggest you stick with 8350 on non Sky boxes until they sort themselves out.