Anyone else out there still on good old steam-driven dial-up?

I need to access the internet from someone else’s house using my computer. We have the usual fixed contract with Orange/Wanadoo for the number of hours per month but will this apply if you use a different landline to your own? I seem to remember back in the UK (many years ago!) that the contract hours were only available from the nominated telephone number eg your main house number?

Can you now connect from anywhere and not get charged extra? Had a look at the Orange website but it doesn’t seem to answer the question.

Thanks

I used to have  dial-up with the same arrangement, some free hours, and used some at a friend's house.  They got charged for my internet time, so I am pretty certain that you have answered your own question .... the free time applies only to your fixed line and cannot be 'carried' by your computer to another person's phone line!!

Hi,

We use dial up internet at our place in Nornamdy and in winter the same software is happy to connect when we're at our apartment in the Alps. Each telephone bill reflects the hours connected on that specific line. So yes you can dial up from wherever and the cost is on the bill for the line used.

Gordon

AFAIK the only ISP with whom you could (can?) use dial up from anywhere was (is?) AOL, they used to have a local number in many countries.

I'd need a far better better reason than that though to invite their crappy spawn of the Devil software onto any machine of mine [:-))]