Visitors can't connect to my WiFi

Dear All

I have Orange Broadband internet with WiFi access through the Livebox and I have no problems, however whenever I have visitors who have WiFi enabled laptops etc. nobody can access the network.  I have given them the WEP key and the message they receive just says unable to connect to the internet.  The code is definitely right.  Does anyone know (a) what the problem is or (b) how can I take the security off my WiFi so anyone can access it.

Many thanks for any replies.

Swooky

[quote user="swooky"]

The code is definitely right.  Does anyone know (a) what the problem is or (b) how can I take the security off my WiFi so anyone can access it. [/quote]

You are putting your Livebox into 'pairing' mode by pressing one of the 2 buttons on the back - or bottom - of the box, aren't you?  This gives you or your friends about 10 mins to input the access code/WEP number. Without doing that no one can add their connection.

Sue

Edit: Punch beat me to it! [:)]

and b:

before switching the security off on your livebox be aware that your existing working wireless connections will need to be re-configured as they will stop working when the livebox re-starts. (as they will still be encrypting their traffic). It would be a good idea to ensure you have a working wired connection to your livebox to fall back on if you can't configure things correctly.

open an internet browser window on your computer and (assuming you haven't changed any passwords or configuration of the livebox) enter   http://192.168.1.1   in the address bar. The home page from the livebox should greet you in a few seconds. Enter a username of admin and a password of admin. When the next page opens select wireless from the tabs across the top and you can can select none under security. I cant remember if the livebox reboots automatically then but if not then manually reboot the livebox. Your existing wireless connections then will not work and you will have to re-scan using either windows builtin wireless zero config tool or the propriety software associated with your wireless device.  I think you still have to press the pairing button on the livebox in order to allow the first communication with a new computer even with WEP turned off.

Have fun

Mike