switching on tv --a strange problem

I FIND THAT WHEN I  SWITCH ON THE TV AND PRESS SKY FOR MY FREE PROGRAMMES-BBC1,2 ETC. that the screen does not come on and sometimes I can hear the sound of the programme but no picture is received?????????????????

How can this happen?---I have put new scart leads on connected as before to digi-box and video.A dvd player is also connected .

I have tried clening up the covered ariel lead but after viewing one day ,the next morning is a bug*ER to get up and running again ..All equipment is 3-4years old except for digi box which is 7 years old.

help please.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Difficult to say,  but there are things you can try, such as:-

Disconnect the DVD player and the video,  ensure that the Sky Scart lead is well conected,  and try switching on.

Try feeding the TV from the Scart box using an aerial fly-lead (ie Sky RF out to TV aerial in).   If your TV is stubbornly French then this may not work without a lot of menu fiddling,  and you might have to tune a spare "channel slot" on the TV into the Sky box,  but it would tell you if the SCART lead or output is at fault.

Borrow another TV from somewhere and hook the Sky box up to that via Scart and see if the problem reproduces.

If the TV can receive French TV via an aerial,   does that start up OK.  Or is it just the Sky box?

Others will no doubt have other tricks to suggest,   very hard to be comprehensive without being able to play with the situation on site..

It might just be possible that the Sky box is failing, but don't despair yet!

Sound and no picture ? Sounds like scart leads to me. Is the box on top of the TV? Are the leads hanging down the back? They are notorious (sp?) for making poor and intermittent connections when the weight of the cable is dragging on the plug.

Go with Martin's suggestion, and try a feed from the Skybox's aerial output.

p