Sky card working in another box

Coming up to the end of my contract with Virgin Media and wondering about changing to Sky+.

In France we have a basic Sky box and watch the free to air channels.

If I did change and I took the card out of the Sky+ box (UK) and took it to France and put it in the box there would it work?

Thanks

Paul

Well, mainly, I think, because of freesat, there's not much that a non-subscription Sky card does now.

If you stop your Sky sub, your card effectively becomes a Freesat from Sky card. Ovr the free channels this would only give you Sky 3 and 5 US and Fiver and their +1s. It should work, however, in any Sky box.

I hope this is of help - regards - Tim

Thanks Tim.

I take it from your reply that the card is not logged to a box so will work with any box.

Would we also be able to access the same programmes that we would when in the box in the UK for which the subscription is paid.

Paul

Well it's a while since I was a subscriber, but then the cards were 'married' to the box only if you paid for the premium services - movies/sports etc.

For the basic package, they were not 'married'. Also, as I said, if you stop the subscription, the card reverts to a Freesat from Sky card.

Regards - Tim

Yes, that's right. If you try to look at certain subscription or pay-to-view channels you will get the message 'This is the wrong card for this box'. The normal free-to-view channels are fine though.

That's with a Sky card in a Sky box. I don't know if it's the same with a Sky+ card in a normal Sky box.

• 2 weeks later...
You will find that the full facilities of Sky+ will only work properly with a Sky contract. Cards for these are married to the box. If you just want to be able to record free-to-air programmes and not things like Sky Sports or Movies then you would be better served by buying one of the Freesat recorders which are now available. These do not need any cards or subscriptions.

I'm a little confused by parts of the answers on this!

We are in the process of either buying a freesat box, or just buying a Sky "Free to View" card, from what I can see, if you just keep your subscription card, and terminate the subscription, you don't actually get as many channels as buying the FTV card, and the FTV card gives you a few more than a Freesat box, unless I've read it totally wrong!

Well the times can be a little confusing.

If you terminate your Sky subscription channels, the card you already have in the receiver reverts to what is called a Freesat from Sky card. This currently means that the card gives you Five on the EPG, Sky 3 - Fiver and it's +1 and Five US and it's +1. You do, of course get the free to air channels - BBC etc.

If you continue to use your Sky box without a card, you will lose the above channels, apart from Five (which you still have to tune in manually.)

freesat (small 'f'' is deliberate) will not get you Fiver (+1) and Five US (+1) and Sky 3.

You talk about a FTV (free to view) card - this is a Freesat from Sky card.

If I'm still confusing you, please ask again.

Regards - Tim