Apologies if this has been answered before, but since Christmas I have been unable to connect to hotmail.com to receive my emails.

Previously I had a problem sending emails via my 1and1 account but could still receive them. This sending problem was solved by changing the port number.

Is my hotmail problem something similar and how do I solve it please?

Thanks in anticipation.

John

Thanks tj - all suggestions gratefully received.

I'm not back in our French house until Friday but will work through all ideas then.

Just to clarify, France Telecom seems to be blocking any connection to hotmail.com before I have a chance to put my email address in.

John

Sorry cant help you then, other than to say that it works for me using Free.fr and always has on public computers in bibliotheques etc.

It does rather defeat the object of hotmail though, I always managed to access it in every country while I was travelling except for a short period in South Africa (I think that was a general hotmail problem) on the other hand  I could always access my internet banking until I reached France [:'(]

At the time (2005) no matter what computer I used, and in my area I had to travel 50kms to find a public one, when I entered "egg.com" or "egg.co.uk" it always defaulted to the Egg.fr site which was only for French account holders. 

Thanks again - Anton that could work, I try it tomorrow when I'm back in France and report back.

J.R - It's the only site that I visit that is blocked so I think that it must be Orange and it did suddenly happen while I was over at Xmas.

Hi Anton,

Over here in the 7 Valleys now and unfortunately my situation is still the same.

I have tried connecting via Google, msn, and livemail to hotmail.com/.uk/.fr but none of them will give me a login page so it looks as if I will have to tackle Orange in my somewhat limited French but thanks for your suggestions.

John

Hi tj,JR & Anton,

I have solved my problem.

Over Xmas my son changed my Belkin Modem for another Belkin modem and put in exactly the same settings. In desperation I changed the modems back and could connect to Hotmail again. It must be something to do with the built in firewall but even after comparing every setting I still can't spot the difference.

Anyway problem solved and thank you all for your interest.

John