It sounds as though skype would be useful to us. We don't particularly need TV, but will need an internet connection. Most of the packages I have seen seem to have tv included.

Is there a way of getting an internet connection without having a whole tv, internet, telephone package?

We're in a new-build apartment, and are told there is a connection to something high speed.

As you will gather, I'm not very clued-up on these things, but would love to stop coming down to the internet cafe and spending a fortune here plus phone calls, texts etc. We recently had to cancel flights and hire car due to my husband having flu - (the real thing, 10 days in bed, which is unheard-of for him!) and couldn't access company helplines on any of our 3 phones, so had to rely on emails - stress levels climbed even higher! I read that with skype you can have a package with all numbers available.

Thanks for any help, Jo

TV is only included and available if your line speed is capable of supporting it. You do not pay based on the speed you can get. In broad terms you will pay roughly similar amounts to most ISP's regardless of actual speed so someone out in the sticks limited to say a lowly 1mb will be paying the same per month as another enjoying 24mb it a big town. Rotten unfair world init [:'(]

I think the Skype unlimited UK calls service cost's around £2.50/mth but of course you need an internet connection to use it in the first place so it is not a solution in itself.

It would be interesting to find out exactly what's available in the block.

To give you an idea, we can only get 1 meg ADSL here. We pay F.T. €24.90 a month.

We use Skype via the broadband and we pay €33 a year for unlimited calls to UK landlines.

You do not pay, of course, for calls to other Skype users.

Regards - Tim

If you live in a new apartment block there is a good chance someone already has broadband and runs a wireless router - find them (either ask around or try a wireless device) and come to an agreement to share the costs - or if you set one up offer to share with your neighbours

Actually Ernie us country folk often pay MORE for a SLOWER speed because our exchanges haven't been "unbundled" from FT or BT.

Both in Britain and in France I have had to pay more than the "advertised" price on the operators' websites (Eclipse and Alice).   The "rural" price is - oddly enough - never seemingly shown in  the headline advertised rate!

And 1 Meg in France for us.....I wish.    350 kbps on a good day......

Still,   I wouldn't live in a town if I could help it and would rather pay €60 pa more for a slow speed than the alternative!!    And the fact the ADSL works at all,  and for most of the time,   is miles better better than dial up!

Thanks for your replies. We've tried finding a signal in the block, but no luck. Skype still seems the way we would like to go, having checked the website.

Does anyone know of a supplier of ADSL alone? We've seen mention of this, but can't get details from companies. If we can get it, it would seem to work out better for us than a combined package, especially as we're only here for 6 months a year.

Thanks, Jo

As I said above - our F.T. contract is for ADSL only at 1 meg. It's €24.90 a month.

I'm sure I've heard that F.T. do a system of 'part time' contract but I'm afraid I don't have the details for that, although I'm sure someone else will be able to help.

Regards - Tim