Skype ....further questions!!

Hi,

Having read a previous posting on the use of Skype for telephone calls to and from the UK can anyone help regarding phones. I have a cordless phone which at present is plugged into my modem and all my calls go through that via teleconnect as my ISP. I feel that my bills will be somewhat reduced per annum if I:- a) use teleconnect for internet only and b) use Skype for all telephone use to the UK and in France. Is this correct?

ANy help useful

tuppence

Well I suppose that will depend on how you are paying for your calls via your internet.

In my case I could change my internet package with Orange, for which I pay €24.90 to the €29.90 (I think) package which would include calls. That's an extra €5 a month or €60 a year.

We use a Skype package instead and we pay annually around €33 for unlimited calls to UK landlines. We, of course, still have to pay for calls within France.

So for us, it's a better deal - at the moment. I am always keeping an eye on our usage and if there is any significant change I can always alter the package to include calls within France.

As always, I think, with this sort of thing, it depends on your usage and then decide on the package that suits you the best.

I hope I haven't 'muddied the waters' too much.

Regards - Tim

Hi,

With Teleconnect I pay 39.90€ per month, this includes ADSL at €29.90, unlimited calls to the UK €5 and unlimited calls to France €5 + a UK to France number (free) for family and friends in the UK to call me. With Skype the price for all calls to Europe (which I presume includes France and the UK) would be €40 approx.  per annum, whereas the calls from Teleconnect are €120 per annum. Saving me €80 per annum??[:D]

tuppence

Well, you need to make sure you're getting like for like for the money.

As I said, our €33 a year Skype package is for unlimited calls to UK landlines - it does not include the rest of Europe, nor France.We stil use our F.T. landline for French calls. Where we live I'm not prepared to go for ther full VOIP just in case of a power cut. But that may change in the future.

But, it depends on what you use. For us, at the moment, it works well.

Regards - Tim

Thanks for the responses to my original posting. However can I presume that I can use my normal cordless phone i.e. the one I have always used via teleconnect? Or do I have to a SKYPE phone. I don't really want another phone as the one I have is OK, but I am by no means familiar with the technical requirements in this case. I use a microphone to speak to friends who are slreasy Skype users. For unlimited calls to 21 European countries the cost is €54 per annum, still makes a saving over Teleconnect and they all include a line number for friends to contact you.

thanks again

tuppence

We use the same Skype set up as when calling other Skype users - i.e. via the computer, although we do have a set of earphones we sometimes use.

If you go for the Skype deal you can store the most frequently used numbers you call in the same list as other Skype users.

In addition, there is an answerphone facility for when you are away from the computer or if it is switched off.

As you mention, you also get to choose a UK number for people in the UK to call you without having to dial an international number. As most of our friends and family are around the south of England, we chose a London number.

We have found that this number is often included in call packages. For example, B.T.s friends and family and free calls after 6p.m. It's also sometimes included in mobile phone deals, so people in the UK can often call us for nothing or very cheaply.

It is also possible to receive text messages via the UK number.

I suppose I should say at this point that I have no connection with Skype.

I hope this information is of some use.

Regards - Tim