Wifi via Freebox

Hi ,

Have been lucky with my freebox and had a solid stable performance for two years. But had big problems setting up the system and I'm wary about fiddling with it unnecessarily. When I bought it I added a wifi card but didnt want to risk installing it after the gremlins were sorted out .I'd now like friends and visitors to have internet access so I'm planning to install it but would first like to ask ( sorry for the really basic ignorance !)

1 Is it easy to install - risk free ?

2 Will that be enough for others to have access or will I need some form of router ?

Merci en avance

hi ok

Was surprised you had trouble setting up your Freebox , I just used the Ethernet cable no software and it worked " out of the box " but I am using windows XP ,the only problem I had was the freephone going off after 10 mins a new power pack solved this ..go to the free forum site  very good if you have a problem ...back to question ...

I have just got rid off the wifi card , although it`s easy to set up , you have to go onto the free web site to enable the card /set password. The performance is slow ,and gives preference to wifi so if you are on the Ethernet(yellow cable ) you will not get on the net .if wifi is being used

Solution buy a router, just got a Belkin router from ebay uk for £20 model nos fsd8233-4v3  this is not a router / modem   just a router , the wifi now travels the full length of our long house ( after I done a firmware up date for it ) ... there are  better models on the market but it`s ok for what we want...just my own opinion

Dave 

I too want to install wi-fi for my freebox, it's annoying to be fixed to 1 location for internet, but alas I've tried installing my belkin and it doesn't run any security features....it just beams an unsecure wi-fi signal all around the house.  Don't know how to fix this.

David

hi ok

you need to enable the fire wall  ...... launch internet explorer and type in 192. 168. 2. 1 and press enter  you should have a box come up asking for a password ignore this ( leave blank ) go to the security settings to enable and set password .

Dave

ps this can only be done from the wire conected pc and not from a wifi conected one