This may be a question that a 4 year old could answer but can someone point me in the right direction. I have been trying to replace my Livebox with a Belkin and after 2 LONG afternoons I have given up. Could someone please translate what I want for 1) Username, 2)Password, 3)Service name, 4) Dial on demand,5) Use static IP address. On the connection page do I tick PPoe or PPoa.

The options to match are  Reference client, Identifant de connection, Mot de passe de connection,adressee de messagerie .

This may be obvious to a lot of people but not me.

Thanks in anticipation. Steve

Hi Steve, 

If you have had a few goes at setting it up, it might be worthwhile doing the factory reset procedure before starting again.  Here’s how mine is set up (using in UK): 

User name and password as those for connecting to broadband through your ISP. 

Mine doesn’t have anything called Service Name. 

DHCP Server On (which I think means do not use static IP address) 

PPPoE / PPPoA…..  Mine is set to PPPoA – I cant remember why, but it works for me! 

Dial on demand is ticked. 

So long as you have your ISP’s user name and password it SHOULD only take a few minutes to set up…. 

Good luck!

Steve, I got fed up with my livebox, but rather than throw it in the river, I decided to keep it and connect a Belkin WI-FI router to it. That way it is unsecured when you first go through Belkin wifi rather than worrying about the set up on the livebox and all their passwords. It works a treat, as long as you have a wifi card (all laptops have these as standard, but you may need so mething for a stand alone PC). By the way, you can ignore the Belkin CD, you don't need anything that is on it.

Giles

Another long afternoon but still no joy. I know the router works as it is the same as the one I have in England and I used it 3 weeks ago before I came over. On entering the Belkin set-up I still keep getting No Connection across the top. Do I tick the box for Dial on demand and what on earth do I put in the box service name. I have had internet through my Livebox now for 12 months and the reason to change to a Belkin router is to try to get Wi-Fi to work to talk to my wifes laptop, as I am unable to with the Livebox. where is a tame teenager when you need one

If you’re not having any luck with it, maybe it would be quicker calling Belkin support and talking to someone there? If you have a look on their website belkin.com/uk, you can get the technical support contact details – France is 0825 540026. There is a UK number but you might not be able to get through to it from France – 0845 607 7787. If that doesn’t work you could try calling their main switchboard 01933 352000 and ask if they can put you through or if there is a normal number you can call.

I called them a good few years ago when I first got my wireless router and found them very helpful and got the problem resolved in a couple of minutes.

You can also get online support and download instruction books and latest software on their website.

I have a Belkin wi-fi router.  In the set-up it states that you should connect through one of the ethernet ports when setting-up.  I have succeeded just using a wireless connection but it was quicker with ethernet.  Perhaps not relevant but just a point which may apply if you are getting a "connection failure" message.