HELP! computer problem

Hi Folks.Just returned from hols to find I cannot receive emails thro outlook express.On first switching on,58 emails shown.Then Norton kicked in and now just keep getting error message- port 995,socket error 10060,error number 0x800CCCOE.Stumpe I am.Checked all settings,servers etcnotning obvious.Tried ringing Alice but no one can or is willing to speak some form of anglais.Tried my French bur not up to the technical machine gun speed french from them.Anyone any ideas? thanks Maude

If your email provider is Hotmail, then you need to change to Windows Live as Microsoft no longer support Outlook Express. Microsoft have sent numerous emails informing of this change. This is a copy of the last email I received from Windows Live Hotmail Team in August. If you try changing to Windows Live  hopefully you will find all your new and saved emails.

Dear Windows Live Hotmail Customer,

You are receiving this note because you have used Microsoft Office Outlook, Outlook Express, or Entourage to view your Windows Live Hotmail®. Microsoft is changing the way these programs access Hotmail e-mail which will require you to take action.

To continue to receive e-mail from your Hotmail account, please select one of the alternative solutions below before September 1, 2009. After this day, new e-mail can only be delivered to your mail programs through the following alternative solutions.

If you use Microsoft Office Outlook to view Hotmail, you can download free Office Outlook Connector to continue accessing your Windows Live Hotmail within Outlook 2003 or 2007. If you're using Outlook 2002, you will need to change the settings on your program to access your Hotmail. Click here to learn more.

If you use Outlook Express to view Hotmail, you can choose to download free Windows Live Mail (recommended) or change the settings on your program to access your Hotmail within Outlook Express. Click here to learn more about your options.

If you use Entourage to view Hotmail, you can change the settings in your program to view your e-mail. Click here to learn more.

Why is this happening? Outlook, Outlook Express, and Entourage use a legacy communications method (known as the DAV protocol) to access Hotmail. Because the DAV protocol is not optimally suited for programs to access large inboxes such as Hotmail which now provides users ever-growing storage*, new alternatives have been built. Last year, customers asked us to postpone plans to retire the DAV protocol until more options were available. Now that these options (including the POP3 protocol) are available, we are ready to retire the DAV protocol.

Thank you for using Windows Live Hotmail.

[quote user="maude"]Hi Folks.Just returned from hols to find I cannot receive emails thro outlook express.On first switching on,58 emails shown.Then Norton kicked in and now just keep getting error message- port 995,socket error 10060,error number 0x800CCCOE.Stumpe I am.Checked all settings,servers etcnotning obvious.Tried ringing Alice but no one can or is willing to speak some form of anglais.Tried my French bur not up to the technical machine gun speed french from them.Anyone any ideas? thanks Maude[/quote] I do not use hotmail-yet.Could this be the problem? Maude

[quote user="maude"]Hi Folks.Just returned from hols to find I cannot receive emails thro outlook express.On first switching on,58 emails shown.Then Norton kicked in and now just keep getting error message- port 995,socket error 10060,error number 0x800CCCOE.Stumpe I am.Checked all settings,servers etcnotning obvious.Tried ringing Alice but no one can or is willing to speak some form of anglais.Tried my French bur not up to the technical machine gun speed french from them.Anyone any ideas? thanks Maude[/quote]Thanks for the advices-problem solved.I rest everything using outlook express web page and voila!!!!Maude