Afghan War Diary File

Lotus Symphony? Ages since I last played with that.

Drop it into a decent text editor and slice it into chunks for saving. Alternatively, import it to a proper DBMS, which should eat a 78 meg file no problem. My preferred desktop DBMS is MS Access, but in Linux-land try using the one (Base, I think) that comes with Open Office -- I played with that a year or two back and it's fairly friendly.

Did you really mean to post this one here?

Missed it yesterday as I was following the Xacobeo coverage on TV Galicia, but noticed it on the BBC site this morning. The WikiLeaks site led  to an attempt to download an HTML file but it stalled on 38.2 MB. The site then refused to download the file and eventually IE declined to visit the site. Eventually found a SQL and a csv file on Media Breakers site. The wiki site is banned in germany and the CIA hate it; the pattern of events today suggests that it may be blocked in france not difficult with the Hadopi System in place. The content of the file is I would imagine not very interesting and a bit pointless to spend weeks if not months checking it out; there will be plenty of people doing that already. Maybe I'll get my official HADOPI email soon.[:)]

Thanks for replying. Cheers PPP.

Problem solved I think, busy site, at 18 KO/sec a bit like dial up, now have a zipped HTML file on the netbook, will transfer it to the tower later today. The sites are patently overloaded and not blocked. In fact there is quite a pot-pourri of files available see paste below.

We have delayed the release of some 15,000 reports from the total archive as part of a harm minimization process demanded by our source. After further review, these reports will be released, with occasional redactions, and eventually in full, as the security situation in Afghanistan permits.

The data is provided in HTML (web), CSV (comma-separated values) and SQL (database) formats, and was rendered into KML (Keyhole Markup Language) mapping data that can be used with Google Earth. Please note that the checksums will change.

• Complete dump of the website, HTML format 75 MB

• All entries, CSV format 15 MB

• (SHA1: d6b82f955a7beb9589f92e9487c74669d1912a34)
    • Raw data in comma-separated value format for further processing.
  • All entries, SQL format 16M MB

• (SHA1: 9463f73ebbcd3f95899a138d6ba9817e1b6b800d)
    • Raw data in SQL format for further processing.
  • All entries, KML format 16 MB

• (SHA1: 34562c0c7722522161e40330d80ac9082014845f)
    • This archive contains all events in one KML file. This file needs much memory if opened with Google Earth.
  • All NATO entries, KML format 209 kB

• (SHA1: 088ff8999a316f30e5e398021375fa3b4fc6349e)
    • Contains the events that were tagged with NATO.
  • Entries by month, KML format 16 MB

• (SHA1: 01a5c0639e1e1e844b10e962a44849b2a521d092)
    • This archive provides the entries split by month. This makes it easier to browse the data in Google Earth on low power machines.
  • Entries with scale filter, KML format 981 kB

• (SHA1: 4669c721b87775a44472f6688e768305c686beff)
    • File that will show a scale corresponding to the number of incidents in Google Earth. Each incident begins with a 0.5 base score, and 0.1 has been added for each incident involving humans. This set of data provides only events that have a scaling of 1.5.

P.S. Will have a go with the KML files on GoogleEarth as well later today.

No need to transfer, site is quiet this morning; just downloaded the 74 MB HTML file directly to the tower in under 60 secs at 1.2 MB/sec; I have a fast ADSL 2+ connexion.

This morning the Pentagon have talked down the severity and consequences of the leak.[:(]

• 3 weeks later...