Can anyone give me an idiots guide to WiMax please.

Thinking of buying a new house, but the one we like doesn't have ADSL, and as I use my PC frequently for my family history and my family history programme directly links to the internet, I need fast download speeds.

Got no idea about WiMax, so if you have it, can you let me know exactly how it works and how you get on with it.

Many thanks.

Jan

Looked at that - must be a complete idiot.  Still not sure I understand.

So you need an aerial approx 10 miles away max to get it to work on a WiMax enabled PC?  The area we are looking at to move to has no aerial, but if enough people in the village sign up for it, they may consider erecting one.  Being as there are only half a dozen houses in the village mainly consisting of the 60+ age group who seem to still use grand pere's  old scythe rather than a strimmer, I don't think there would be much chance of them erecting an aerial any time soon.  My PC is WiFi enabled, but not WiMax.

Still, more house hunting to go, so maybe we'll find something that actually has ADSL, unless anyone has another high speed solution.

Many thanks.

Jan

Your computer doesn't need to be wimax anything - so long as you have a network LAN card installed, or the motherboard has LAN on it, wimax will work. Most recent computers and laptops have this facility inbuilt.

The wimax combined receiver/antenna is small and unobtrusive and can be fixed to a pole, the wall, a tree....

It connects to your computer with a simple network cable, and basically performs like an ADSL router. You can distribute the signal throughout your house using either wifi or direct cat 5 cabling.

As has already been stated, the wimax transmitter needs to be within 10Km - 20 Km range, and not obstructed by terrain and vegetation.

There are two well-known suppliers (Numeo and Idyle, and probably others as well). If you look on their websites you can ascertain whether or not they can supply a service to you, in principle.

Set up is simple, prices are competitive (around E30 per month), speeds are quite good (2 Mb down, 512 Kb up), customer service is lamentable. But when wimax is good, it's very good...

OK - I'm getting there.  Seems my husband has the brain cell today.  I used to be pretty good at this kind of thing, but since having a brain haemorrhage, my memory and thought processes are c**p.

€30 is about what I'm paying Orange at the moment for unlimited access, so that's OK.  Will definately look at those websites though. 

Many thanks.

Jan

• 2 months later...
On the Numeo website are details of satelitte internet from 29.99 euros per month. Dish, etc is pricey on a 12 month contract but free on a 24 month deal. 3.6 Mb download speed, 384Kb upload. sounds idea if you don't have access to broadband or Wimax.

http://www.numeo.fr/pdf/BI_Sat_tous.pdf