UK domestic appliances in France

Am I correct in assuming that all usual appliances, washing machine, dishwasher etc work OK in France? I understand UK TVs don't, is that correct?

Is the voltage 220v and if so does this cause any problems compared to the UK's 240v? I've had problems with a portable fridge before.

Light fittings - are screw fitting bulbs the norm?

>Am I correct in assuming that
>all usual appliances, washing machine,
>dishwasher etc work OK in
>France? I understand UK TVs
>don't, is that correct?
>
Yes, I have installed washing machine, dishwasher and oven, all worked fine (I called the manufacturer, Bosch, in UK first, and they confirmed OK),
French TV transmissions are (I think) SECAM and cannot be made sense of by a UK TV. I assume a UK TV can be used for reception of UK TV by satellite, but have no personal experience of that.

>Is the voltage 220v and if
>so does this cause any
>problems compared to the UK's
>240v? I've had problems with
>a portable fridge before.
>
See following post, re light bulbs, copied from another board:

coling (50 posts)
19-Nov-01, 07:45 PM (GMT)
5. "RE: French light bulbs"
For a number of years now the 'base' voltage in France and the UK has been 230V. The tolerance allowed is +/- 12% ie 240V +6% and 220V -6%. In the next few month the tolerance is to be reduced to +/-6%.
If you look carefully at new light bulbs and other new electrical appliances, you will find that they are marked 230V.

Colin

PS the above tolerances will not apply if your house in is the country, fed by a long length of wet string!

>Light fittings - are screw fitting
>bulbs the norm?

I think bayonet is more prevalent but screw fitting are also found. I must admit my mind is a bit of a blank on this (am in UK at present), hopefully an expert will be along shortly.

Cheers
Papy

>Am I correct in assuming that
>all usual appliances, washing machine,
>dishwasher etc work OK in
>France? I understand UK TVs
>don't, is that correct?

All UK electrical items will work in France. This includes TVs. Some (most?) UK TVs will not be able to tune in French Secam channels though they can always be used in conjunction with a UK satellite receiver. Any video equipment that has scart sockets will be compatible with any other such video equipment except for any possible Secam incompatibility.

>Is the voltage 220v and if
>so does this cause any
>problems compared to the UK's
>240v? I've had problems with
>a portable fridge before.

As mentioned the standard is 230 everywhere now.

>Light fittings - are screw fitting
>bulbs the norm?

It's about 50/50 with a strong tendancy for new fittings to be screw type.