tweeking a dish

Now that there are so many Astras and Eutels all sitting up there in their individual 1cu km boxes - all allegedly at 28.2E, but now spread out in a line long enough to tax even my credulity - which transponder would you professionals (and experienced amateurs) use to fine tune a dish 'by ear' (I'm up on the roof, I can't see the tv but I can certainly hear it).

CBS Drama ?

Classic FM ?

Something else ?

80cm dish, non-Sky receiver (so I can easily, manually set it to any transponder), middle of France.

[yes, I know a professional would have some snazzy frequency meter costing 100's of Euros, but you get my meaning, I'm sure]

p

[quote user="Jay"][quote user="Gyn_Paul"]

[yes, I know a professional would have some snazzy frequency meter costing 100's of Euros, but you get my meaning, I'm sure]

p

[/quote]

Why not buy one for about a fiver then?  LINK

[/quote]

....because I had one and found it about as accurate and useful as you would expect something for a fiver to be!

I have no trouble finding the orientation and elevation of the satellite by eye, and all those cheap ones will tell you is 'yes there's satellite-frequency signals of some sort being received here' - 'here' being through about 3 or 4 degrees of arc, with no differentiation of actual transponder frequency. That's no more help, really, than the time-honoured method of creeping the dish from the left-hand edge of the detectable signal to the right, then optimizing to the centre, and the same vertically, and with skew.

p