If you're looking for a cheap phone (mobile) contract.

Check out Orange France current offers.

Having just had my iPhone unlocked with SFR I needed a Sim-card only replacement. Pay as you go is cr*p in france with the current time-based credit so I looked at getting a cheap Calls/SMS/Internet contract.

Origami Style - version SIM

21 euros a month (instead of 24) if done online. + 1 euro for the sim.

Works for me particularly as Orange is the only network that actually works at our home address.

I'm paying 12 Euros per month with 1 hour of calls with SFR. I'm the opposite of you, only SFR works at home. They keep wanting me to change, to a higher rate I expect but as I only make a couple of calls a month it's good value for me. What I really can't get my head round is the cost of using the Internet via the phone, it's so expensive in France. [:(]

[quote user="Bob T"]... sim was free, nothing per month at all. [/quote]

Ditto re sim and charges, though I am trialling Lycamobile rather than Lebara - having read some comments where some clients had difficulties topping-up with them.

So far so good - though as the sim only arrived on Friday it is early days. Lyca uses Bouygtel, which has good coverage where I live.

Sue

[quote user="Bugsy"]Those sims are fine for just calls but put one in a smart phone and watch your credit disappear in seconds.

Don't ask me how I know this.

.[/quote]

I have mine in my very nice new Android smartphone, but no credit has disappeared in the last couple of weeks.

another + for Lycamobile - except I am possibly one of those "having problems topping it up". I did eventually find a tabac that sold the top up cards & my usage will be such that 10 Euro top up should last me six months. I have to make one charged call or sms every 90 days to keep the number and the credits do not expire...

[quote user="sallymcc"]so a few questions, as this might be a solution for us,

1.does a sim bought in the UK work?

2.how do i find out which network covers where we are?

ta

S[/quote]

1   Yes it should, as long as you tell your service provider you are going abroad. Our daughter forgot to do so with her new-to-her sim and it wouldn't connect when she arrived to stay with us. We sorted it out via secure message to her provider on their website, having opened an online account in her name.

2  Someone will be along shortly who knows where to find that out.

Re my trial with Lycamobile sim - so far so good. Topped up in the local tabac with no problem at all and the card works well.

Sue

1/ watch out for excessive roaming charges.

2/ http://maps.mobileworldlive.com/network.php?cid=123&cname=France

Lycamobile - when I enquired about buying a top-up from two different UK companies on-line i was told a UK Lycamobile top up wont work in france with a French Lycamobile sim. I eventually found a tabac that sold the top up and all was well!!