Totally fed up with smtp.com as mail send has totally failed. Can anyone tell me what I need to change on my pop3 'thingy' to get mail sent by Orange instead. I am abroad working at the moment so have limited access to internet but if anyone can help with short instuctions (Quillan perhaps)! I would be very grateful.

Bob W

Looks about right to me.

My friend has Orange and a laptop. He visits many countries and has never had a problem, he uses the default settings which is port 25 and not port 465 so you can try both. In the US some ports are blocked by some ISP's, port 25 in particular. My US ISP uses port 26 instead.

Well thanks for your help so far however I still cannot send E-mails from my Wanadoo address (or any other address come to that)!

I am on Windows Live mail (used for ages with no problems). My settings are now as follows

Servers

Incoming - POP3

Incoming mail - pop.orange.fr

Outgoing mail - smtp.orange.fr

Advanced

Outgoing mail(smtp) port 25

Incoming port 110

Do I tick "This server requires a secure connection" I tried both ways without sucess.

Can you suggest anything else to try?

Tell you what I would do if it were me.

I would create a new email address with exactly the same first name but on the Orange account as opposed to the Wanadoo account. There used to be a facility that automatically transferred emails from the Wanadoo account to the Orange account. This was NOT email forwarding because it left the Wanadoo account empty after it transfered the email to the Orange account. for example if you have an email address [email protected] then create an account called [email protected] People sending you emails will gradually change to your Orange account as they reply to your emails because they will be sent from your Orange account. It means you don't have to go round telling everyone your address has changed. I have to say it's years sine I did this but perhaps AnOther can find the documentation for doing this changeover from Wanadoo to Orange email address's.

Just as a matter of interest and before you do anything further what address do you use to enter your clients space on Orange (to see your bill etc), a Wanadoo address or Orange address?

Well I found what I was looking for.

http://assistance.orange.fr/renommer-votre-adresse-at-wanadoo-fr-en-at-orange-fr-2242.php

If you follow this any email sent to your Wanadoo email address will automatically be routed to your new Orange email address (note routed and not forwarded). When you answer your emails they will be sent from your new Orange address. I seem to remember that you use Outlook, hope that's right, so you can add or change your "signature" to say some thing like "Please note my change in email address." or whatever.

After you have done that try the setting's from AnOthers link and in particular the port setting if port 25 does not work.

By the way if you are using Outlook what exactly does the error message say and have you tried a test email using the facility under your account details and what is the error message (found under the Error tab when using the Test Account Settings button.

[quote user="Wils"]

Incoming - POP3
Incoming mail - pop.wanadoo.fr
Outgoing mail - smtp.wanadoo.fr

Advanced
Outgoing mail(smtp) port 25
Incoming port 110

Do I tick "This server requires a secure connection" I tried both ways without sucess.

it depends
[/quote]

it depends on what ISP you are using. I have my email stuff configured so that I can send/receive from multiple email accounts (and I use the wanadoo smtp and pop stuff without resorting to Orange) including original tesco.net email stuff.

if you are connected to the internet via an ISP that isn't FT then you need to adjust the settings accordingly. It may be that the server you send has to be the local ISP i.e. pop.<whatever> and receive via smtp.wanadoo.fr Then you will need the secure connection ticked and use your account/password for the wandoo account to receive correctly. Remember that the wanadoo account/password will be the original you were given when you "bought" your internet account