Help with television - young (ish) hands have sabotaged it

I have one television in my house that has UK programmes through some sort of freeview black box.

A young stagiaire in my house today (long story for another time) decided to try the television while I was out and she has done something to it.

She was obviously looking for French programmes but this particular television is British TV only.

I now get a message "La liste des chaines est vide. Voulez-vous lancer la recherche automatique?".

After a while, this changes to the LD logo with "Non programmé" underneath.

Please, is there someone out there that can tell me what I can do (apart from not watch television until my son comes home from boarding school...) ???

Crickey - it really is not my day, technology wise.  I have no idea why my post has a load of nonsense with it.  I just cut and pasted the accent on the e for "programm-ay" and up came all the garbage about Style Definitions.  Hey ho.

[quote user="Kitty"]Crickey - it really is not my day, technology wise.  I have no idea why my post has a load of nonsense with it.  I just cut and pasted the accent on the e for "programm-ay" and up came all the garbage about Style Definitions.  Hey ho. [/quote]

That side of things is easily resolved! [:)]

It 'll probably be easier for anyone to make suggestions if you can post some details about your TV and "sort of freeview black box".

Make and model would help [:)]

Sounds to me like someone has chosen the TV tuner as the input (or "source") instead of the satellite box and because you do not have an aerial connected, you are getting this message that you have no channels stored.

On the remote control, look for the input (source) button - maybe like this http://pctvcables.com/images/remote_source.jpg

and press it. Each press will cycle through the various things you have connected and one of them will be your satellite box. Make sure the satellite box is switched on or you will not see anything.

Danny

Spot on, I have a UK purchased TV and whilst I dont have a Sky or satellite system I get TV via my Freebox to the peritel input.

If I switch on the TV and the Freebox is not powered up i get the same message, its saying that it cant find any TV channels (there is no aerial connected) and do I want to do a rescan, - No because there aint no aerial!!!

Dannys advice is correct, you probably want to select the peritel/scart input, make sure your skybox is still plugged into it.

I am at a bit of a loss as to why my TV displays the message in French, maybe I have selected the language or maybe its because I tried it out on an antenne and initially loaded the channels, now it tells me it cant find TF1 and offers the rescan.

Thank you both so much for replying.

I did find the input button (after looking under a strong light [:D]) and when I pressed it and went through the motions, I only got a grey fuzzy screen.

My son is home from boarding school tomorrow evening and I'm printing out your suggestions so that he can do it.  He'll be the one who wants to watch Top Gear and so there will be an incentive...

Anyone want my stagiaire to come to your house to mess up your television.  There is no such thing as a free stagiaire.  [Www]

Ca y est!  Son home from boarding school to sort out the television (he is learning fast what men are for...)..  I read out the thread and he checked everything.  It was the cable connections.

The stagiaire will be able to watch Loose Women on Monday.  I am sure that she will be thrilled.  [Www]

Thank you, Danny and others, for your help.