B andYou prepaid fone cards

I have a B&Y forfait, I am charged to send sms to a UK mobile, You won't be charged to send to a french mobile (assuming sms is unlimited) that is in another country. I doubt there is much difference in the policy between prepay card and forfait.

You might also consider SFR and their "Séries Red".

€4.99 gets you 2 hours of calls to French land-lines and mobiles and unlimited SMS messages both national and international.

€11.99 gets you unlimited phone calls to landlines in France and 40 other countries (including UK and Spain, basically all of Europe but check the countries you want are on the list.), unlimited  calls to mobiles in France and North America and 50mb of data per month if you have a smart phone.

€19.99 gets you the same as the €11.99 version but with 3gb of data per month.

The €4.99 version allows you to block international calls and the phone when the credit runs out till the following month starts or you can top it up via a credit/debit card.

I personally use the €11.99 tariff as I call back guests in other countries sometimes, family and friends in the UK and Spain and the 50mb of data is about all I want for my smart phone. All these cards are without contract, you can move your current mobile number to them or have a new one. You obviously need an unblocked phone to use them. I like SFR for my mobile and have never had any problems at all with them although I know others have in the past but that was more to do with cancelling contracts with them rather than loss of service or broken phone. I forgot to add that with the €11.99 and €19.99 accounts you get free access to the WiFi hotspots so if you have a tablet that takes a SIM and is unlocked you can swap it over from the phone and have access to their WiFi hotspots rather than go to McDonald's. I tried this using a friends tablet and it works fine.

More information

http://www.sfr.fr/telephonie-mobile/series-red-de-sfr.html#sfrintid=V_mea1_red

If the link does not just go to their website www.sfr.fr and the "Séries Red" is easy enough to find.